Resolved What is this?!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by PghSteeler, Nov 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Happened to be looking at my tank this morning right when the lights came on. Then the weirdest thing happened that I have not seen before! This invert of some kind squirted a few times and started to crawl back into the hole of the rockwork. It was different it kind of looked like it was standing straight up, maybe filter feeding?? and when the lights came on hunched back over to start crawling. Looked like a large slug/snail and moved like a sloth. Color was perfectly blended in with the rock and it seems a little fuzzy. Sorry for the poor pictures it disappeared kind of fast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The more I look at my reef the more I realize I have no clue what is in there and I shouldn't be reaching my bare hands in blindly to place corals and clean lol HOping you guys can help me out even though I feel like tis a long shot and hopefull to ID this thing, but you guys have come through before

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

stomatella snail. harmless herbivore

1 person likes this.
  4. PghSteeler

Man funny critters but you nailed it!! Thanks for the help

5. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Looks like a stomatella snail to me and the stuff he was squirting was eggs. They are harmless scavengers, but prolific!

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

not a problem. your post made me realize that even though i had them all over the place when i first set up the tank, i haven't seen one in probably over a year if not longer. makes me wonder what happened to all of them. :confused:

7. PghSteeler

Maybe some predation?? Large fish or crabs?

8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

probably. either that or they didn't survive the rough times like power outages or water quality issues and I just never noticed.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Moved to -----ID this.