Resolved What is this??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by PghSteeler, Jun 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Doing a WC this morning and went to clean out my filter floss. I found this guy matted up crawling against the fine filter floss mat not sure how long he has been living in there. Im thinking some sort of shrimp or amphipod?? It is a pretty quick little guy moving the legsand is between 1/4-1/2inch in length
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

That is an Amphipod

you will see a lot of that size in filters etc
    in fact I rarely see them at that size in my reef (they are smart enough to stay out of sight of predators) but I often find 2 or 3 when cleaning my cannister out

4. PghSteeler

That is what I thought but being it was so big and the fact that it almost seems to jump when out of water I thought it might be some sort of shrimp.

I guess I should jsut throw it back into the tank or should I throw it into the filter whee I found it?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would put it in your tank, refuge or sump. They are food for fish so that is good and they can be a decent part of your clean up crew if you can ever get a large enough population.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

if you throw it back in the tank, there is a chance it will be food for something
    which is not a bad thing IMO

there are many more of them in your tank, your best chance of seeing them is after lights out, using a flashlight, with some red celaphane over it, as this scares them less and they go about their business whilst the fish are resting

Steve

7. PghSteeler

k thanks for the help guys, the tank has 1 blue hippo tang and 2 clowns so I am not sure there is any eating of pods going on at the moment, I have held off on purchasing any wrasses or gobies to allow the newer tank to build up mature populations

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Those guys will eat them when they find them.

10. PghSteeler

I think you are prob right since both the clowns and tang are constantly staring at the rocks and occasionally picking. I dumped him in and he swam right past the clowns who showed minor interest but just let it swim buy into the rockwork maybe he was too large for them since they are still only 1.5-2inches

11. PghSteeler

I am not sure how to change the unresolved to resolved if either of you could help thatd be great lol

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Go back to your first post, click edit. clock go advanced and it should have a drop down box, choose resolved and then click save.