What is this yellow stuff on my duncan?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by bulldogniner, Jul 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

The pic is a little fuzzy, sorry, that's the best I can do for now. I just noticed today that these little yellow egg looking things are on my coral. What could they be?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Too blurry to tell.

4. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah like 2in10 said, little to blurry to make it out.

5. bulldogniner

updated pic....what is this ???

you can see the yellow stuff on the lowest head and the other heads around the outside.

Attached Files:

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Wow, tough to tell, is it causing them any problems?

7. Butcher333

Butcher333 Plankton

I was just wondering this same thing. I picked it up yesterday. It seems to be doing fine except this is bothering me. I fed it some freeze dried brine shrimp about 6 hours ago. A few hours ago I noticed what seemed like something small near its mouth. The bright green pigmentation was lost in a small area about a mm or 2 in diameter, and in the center of this something bright yellow appears to be coming out in small rounding ribbon wads. What is happening? This is my first occupant besides snails so I am worried. I have googled it but can't find anything yet. I wish there was more information relating to the inhabitants of saltwater tanks. It's funny to me that in the year 2010 there is so little information about this stuff. Trying to learn even the most basic information about something as prolific as Coralline Algae yields the same five sentences from all links. Where are all the marine biologists out there and why don't they chime in to these threads with some answers and be heroes. I bought two books and know the same amount of information I did before I purchased them. Maybe I should write a book.LOL

8. Click Here!

9. bulldogniner

I'm not sure if it is causing any problems, but maybe. I noticed that the heads didn't open at all today and normally they are pretty massive, long tentacle duncans....so....yes....problem :)

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

In the first pic it kinda looks like its popping new heads. On the branches.

In the 2nd photo on the heads, IDK. Can you brush it off? Does it move?

11. bulldogniner

I probably could brush it off, but I didn't know if that would be a good idea. It does have a little movement.

12. Butcher333

Butcher333 Plankton

I had fed it some freeze dried brine shrimp a couple of days later and the same thing happened. So I went and bought some frozen mysis shrimp and when I feed it one of these nothing like this happens. Also, yesterday I was killing some aptasia with kalk paste and when I turned the powerhead back on a small piece of kalk landed on it. It responded the same way. So I have concluded that I should avoid freeze dried brine and if at all possible getting any kalk paste on it. LOL