What is this stuff?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Mystique, Jul 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

I am wondering about this algae. It came in on the rock from a neighbor. I am beginning to question the wisdom of having taken their extra rock. I got a nice healthy aiptasia from them, and successfully gotten rid of about six since then.

This stuff is ugly and seems to be spreading well. Can I manually remove it, scrub the rock..... I would like to get a grip on it before it spreads to the rest of my rock.

Here are some photos of the stuff that I am concerned about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Bryopsis, lha, really bad stuff, get some snails and maybe a tang, they will take care of it...nice xenia btw!

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yeah that stuff is horrid, I think tangster and ama had to use bleach on their rocks with that stuff, IMO get the rock out and nuke it before it spreads

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Doesn't look like bryopsis to me. Just regular hair algae. Pull off the long stuff manually and get some snails to eat the shorter strands. Keep your phosphates and nitrate levels low and keep your calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels nice and steady and it should go away on its own.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

doesnt look like algae to me i think its xenia lol jk
    i think its hair algae

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

It is actually Bryopsis, but not Bryopsis plumosa that most people battle. I would cut the coral off of the rock as close to the base of it as possible, and set the rock out to dry for a few weeks. Once it has had time to bake in the sun, then soak it and scrub it, then its able to be reused.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Looks evil to me. Not sure exactly which it is, but I would say go for some kind of crab. Although I had sucess with turbo snails, not everyone does, I say 50%. Maybe some scarlet red hermits or a emerald. Then again, I am sure there are some chemical treatments that work too.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Since I'm only accustomed to the "fernlike" stuff that I had, I'm wondering what about that particular algae gives away the fact that it's bryopsis?