What is this on my live rock? Looks like a plant

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by gusg011, Jun 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gusg011

gusg011 Astrea Snail

Hello Fellow Reefers,

What is this growing on my live rock? It started growing about 6 to 8 months ago and it seems to be very happy. I just want to know what it is and if I should keep it or get rid of it. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Thank you,

Gus Gonzalez

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Looks like some form of macroalgae. Apparently it's a slow growing form. It's the fast aggressive ones to watch out for.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. gusg011

gusg011 Astrea Snail

Thank you for your reply and information. I am going to post another picture of these hairs that project from the sand and when I dug it out with my small net it turned out to be a worm. I'll post a I tire and a description in a few minutes. Thanks again.

Billme likes this.
  6. gusg011

gusg011 Astrea Snail

Hi Vinny

Thank you for your reply and information. Now you say it can be invasive, how do I get rid of some of it if it starts to get out of had? Now i just took another picture of these hairs that project out of the sand. I took my small net and I dug it out. It turned out to be some type of worm. I'll post the pick of the hairs and then of the worm. Thanks again

7. gusg011

gusg011 Astrea Snail

Hello Fellow Reefers

Here are two more pictures that I need help with. One picture are what look like these thin hairs coming out of the sand the other is a picture of the worm that I can dig out with my net. Are these bad. Or beneficial to the tank. Should I dig them out when I can or just leave them alone.

Thank you in advance for th information.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

You will find a plethora of micro organisms in your system including a number of harmless scavengers/filter feeders(for the most part).
    Hard to tell from your pics exactly what you have there though.Everything in the system is dependant on food.The more you add the more critters you will get.;)

10. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Look up spaghetti worms. It's possible that's some of what you see.

11. gusg011

gusg011 Astrea Snail

Vinny,
    Once again thank you for the information. I'll leave them alone and not worry about them.

Thank again

Gus G.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Anytime Gus.You are definitely right to be wary as you just never know what you are going to get on lr/corals.This is why some people use strict qt practices and use mostly base rock.
    Just take pictures of things and post away.There are several experienced and helpfull people here.Do lots of reading.Heres a good link.
    http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Hitchhikers_Guide_to_the_Reef_Tank