Resolved What is this and can I cut it?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Peredhil, Jan 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my frogspawn has attached itself to some rock (the frag itself is in the substrate).

I'm not sure if this is coral flesh or sponge. Not sure if a frogspawn would grow in this way (I'm thinking it's probably just sponge).

I'd like to cut it and scoot the frogspawn up closer to those mushrooms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Looks like a sponge to me, I don't see why you couldn't cut it and move the frag up closer. Are you trying to eradicate the sponge completely? Or do you like the look of it on there?

1 person likes this.
  4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

sponge is a lost cause and uneradicatable. I'm giving in to the sponge in my tank... (I have a few threads on problem sponges if you didn't know;)).

this looks pretty smooth while all my other sponges look... well spongey. So it's hard for me to tell. The only reason I wouldn't cut it is if by some off chance the coral is spreading (and indicating to me it is fine where it is).

I really don't think these spread that way, but I have never actually had a frogspawn grow before so wanted to check before I go in cutting things :)

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I believe frogspawn grows by adding to its calcerous skeleton and growing new heads,at least mine has.Any other soft tissue around it is probably sponge or something else.

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yes, I agree with Sailorguy.

Luna

1 person likes this.
  7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

OK, thanks guys. Needed the reassurance. I plan on pulling out the knife tomorrow. I got in my new rock from reefcleaners so I'm going to rearrange ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Resolved... how do I change that? Can't find it...

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thread Tools pulldown at top of thread / edit thread / prefix pulldown.

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I would still say sponge:)P);D. LPS corals like euphyllia usually build a calcium based structure and sprout out of it(evident in the bottom picture you posted). They can also split heads, and form new ones. I have never seen the tissue spread out and expand, I do not really know if that is even possible for them.

On a side note Pered, with a tank that healthy and thriving, I don't think it would even matter if was the tissue and you cut it. It would probably still grow and spread. Maybe you could test it first, try and harass the stuff that is spreading and see if the coral closes up, if not then it is most likely just a sponge.

12. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

i dont think its a sponge. to me it looks like the original calcerous base it started from. i would wait a month to see what develops.

what does it feel like?