What is this algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Reakwonthachef, Apr 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reakwonthachef

Reakwonthachef Feather Duster

This stuff has been on my rock for about 3 months. It doesn't seem to spread but it's ugly and I think it's restricting coralline growth.

Tank specs:
    40 gal
    ph: 8.3
    Mg: 1400
    Ca: 450
    KH 9-10
    Nitrite - 0
    Phosphate - undetectable
    temp: 79.5
    SG: 1.026
    Flow:
    Mag drive 7 on my skimmer
    Koralia 3 in tank
    Aqueon 55 HOB ref

90 watts of LED light; 30 watts at royal blue and 60 at 19000K

Everything is healthy and doing very well including SPS which are showing a very pleasing growth rate. I just want this stuff gone and want to know whats causing it. I don't feed and I have no fish. I also have what I think are some kind of pod that appears to be eating it? They are small 2mm with black at both ends and white in the middle?

Any help will be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If it blows off the surface with a turkey baster or powerhead it's probably cyanobacteria.

"They are small 2mm with black at both ends and white in the middle" this has me puzzled though.

4. Reakwonthachef

It doesn't come off, like at all. I had ran some carbon once and I guess I didn't rinse it well enough and afterwards (weeks) this algae started showing up. Now it just chills. I can't get a good pic of the bugs. They are white on both ends and brown in the middle. (i just studied them for a while) They have two antennae and have legs. They hide in holes in the rock and seem to come out to scavenge

Attached Files:

• pods.jpg
      pods.jpg
      File size:
      181.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  5. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Amphipods! Or Copepods, I've never been real great at differing the two. But it's a possibility that they are eating it. Cyano is a bacteria, although it's often treated as an algae in the aquarium hobby. If it's real hard, it very well could be just a different color coraline. I've had Purple, blue, red, and green!

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Agreed. Is it slick and hard?

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I'm also betting its coralline algae. As your tank ages you'll get more colors.

8. Click Here!

9. Reakwonthachef

It is hard, but its slick. Slick like when algae covers shale in the bottom of a creek. Maybe there is coralline under the algae but as you can see from pic # 2 there is some brown stuff. I thought it was dino but it releases no air bubbles and seems to stay real close to the surface of the rock. Also I see spots of pink corraline on my glass but none on the rock? I figured the algae is out competing it. It looks terrible and I can't find a picture that accurately describes what I have. I started with all dead rock and only 1 seed of live rock with corraline fwiw. I was thinking of adding a cyano removal product but I don't want to add stuff if it's not going to clear the mess up. My chaeto is going nuts, so there must be phosphates coming from somewhere that are fueling this. The only thing I can think of is the rock itself, I figure that must be why the algea has attached so well because it's feeding directly at the source. I just wish I knew what it was.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

There's two different organisms in that first pic even though it looks like just coralline.....

It reminds me of dinos.