What is the worst thing your lfs has done?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by fish-aholic 94, Dec 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I was at one of my LFSs the other day and they are simply overpriced. Admittedly they have a huge and nice coral selection. But I wonder if that's because they ARE so overpriced that their product doesn't move? $120 for a 3" red brain? $225 for a 6" hammer?? Give me a break.

Another one, I should have said something, but I didn't. But these ladies were in a bought probably $300 worth of corals (different store than the one above). By standing in line behind them waiting to check out I gathered that their tank was pretty much brand new. I'm sure none of those corals made it. I don't know why I didn't say anything.

Same store as the one just mentioned sold me a Sleeper Gold Head Goby saying it would be helpful in sifting the sand. What they DIDN'T tell me was that any corals on the sandbed would be buried. I was still relatively new then but I had learned my lesson by that time not to buy fish unresearched. So why I did it AGAIN is beyond me. I wound up tearing down the whole tank to get the damn thing out 2 days later and they just gave me 1/2 store credit for it. I don't shop there anymore. At all.

2. Click Here!

3. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Lol my buddies mom got him a 220 complete set up and the sump they sold her wont fit in the stand....

5. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

A few years ago, the very first tank I set up I bought everything all at once. The store was thrilled to load me up with all kinds of goodies. A brand new 20g tank, PC's, 20lb's live rock, live sand, heater, water, a yellow tang, a sailfin tang, hippo tang, bi-color angel, 2 clowns, a royal gramma, a very large condi anemone, and a few random corals(zenia, gsp, and zoas). A CuC too, of course. Hermits, turbos, 2 sandsifters, and a handful of brittles.
    Yep! After spending several hundred $ they told me to go home and dump everything in, and to enjoy my new hobby. Went back the next day, told them everything was dead. They said I must have done something wrong.
    In actuallity, I did do something wrong. I didn't do any research. Just took their word for it, pulled my wallet out, and killed bunch of beautiful animals for no reason. Yea, they got me good. It was the owner of the store that sold me everything to me. Pretty sad, huh?

6. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

the worst thing my lfs ever did was go out of business.

it didn't exactly have the healthiest live stock.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

The only place local to me is simply over priced. There are three about 1 hr away that have great selection but are snotty and very over priced. I actually spent a few hundred at one of them on just one fish and asked for 10 bucks off a yellow tang that I liked and bought and he said no man sorry. I had bought 300 in coral the week before. All total I spent 1000 in 2 weeks and could not get 10 bucks of a yellow tang that was 65 bucks! I dident care about the yellow tang but the wife wanted it and the owner of the store sold it to me actually told me someone brought it in because it outgrew there tank and they gave it to him! what a jerk move. I have yet to go back and this place in NH is one of the best selections around! I paid more for my cross hatch triggers at another store and drove 1/2 past his store just not to do buisess with him!

8. Click Here!

9. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

My local LFS has had a 8-9.5" Cheveron tang in a 75g for about 3 months, because they can't sell it.