What is the process of drilling LR and Installing Pipe?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by qualitydaydream, May 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. qualitydaydream

qualitydaydream Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Im doing a renovation of my 180g tank soon and adding a Red Sea MAX 250 to the home as well.

I am using this chance to do things right like the 3reefers do.

I am inquiring with you guys to learn more about drilling live rock, the process, and tools i will need.

I have drills, gloves, eye protection, and a load of bits. Do I use PVC? I read 3/4" PVC works.

any help is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

ive seen lots of people do what youre talkin about quality. excellent idea and let your imagination go wild. for the drilling i would imagine you would need a good masonary \concrete bit. they do make them 3\4 size. im not sure how "soft" LR is, so thats why i would think that type bit would work best, and they dont dull down quickly. but others with the experience might prove me wrong in this situation. good luck

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I used PVC and Plastic industrial zip ties. You can see pics in my tank thread below.
    I think I used 3/4" but can't remember what ever you think will hold the stuff up.

5. qualitydaydream

I just got back from lowes and purchased some 1/2" pipe some elbow joints, PVC cement, and a 3/4" Masonary Bit.

Are there any other elbow joints that are at less of a sharp angle?

Is a drill press required or do the battery hand units work, its a pretty large masonary bit..

Has anyone used 1/2" PVC here? I wanted smaller so I could get away with using smaller rocks as well.

Will the 1/2" hold?

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i dont drill my rock to make my structure but i did see something cool at one of my lfs, the owner would drill a huge whole through the rock and stick a power head in it. so the PHeads were hidden in his tank

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Just make sure if you are drilling hoes in your pvc structure that you are pushing water through it so creatures don't get up in there and grow. Like this one.... Oregonreef.com

I done it for better flow on one end of my tank. With a peninsula style tank it is hard to get flow in there and still not have cords all over the place from PH's.

8. Click Here!

9. qualitydaydream

Do I use PVC cement?

Is it ok if i dont drill holes and do not push water through?

Will the water that gets into the PVC get foul?

What type of bit did you use and was it with a drill press?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks to this forum and your thread otty I now understand how all those nice resturaunts aquascape in such a way.

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

omg that 7' worm is sick! really makes me think twice about adding in some 4" pvc tunnels for my future zebra moray.

~Will.

11. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

You don't need a drill press. Use a sheet of wood to drill into incase you over drill and watch your hands... like don't cup the rock in one hand and drill down with the other... use the wood, not your nice counter top or tile floor.
    Yes, don't drill the pvc! Stuff gets in there and you'll have no control. The cement should seal off that pipe if you mend them right by using enough cement and doing a 1/4 turn. Water wont get in there if it's sealed right so there'll be nothing in there to get foul.