what is the difference between these two montis?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Dingo, Jan 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

"Tyree" rainbow montipora:
    [​IMG]

and just a normal rainbow montipora:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Looks like the tyree has purple and the other doesn't. They might grow out to be the same though.

1 person likes this.
  4. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

usually the named corals 'tyree' etc are also suppose to hold their color better and be more colorful then other imports of the same kind. Personally I think it is just a bunch of marketing hype

1 person likes this.
  5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

A Tyree coral is actually grown and fragged at Tyree's coral farm.

Reef Farmers Main

6. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Exactly. Both of the names "Tyree" and "LE" are put in front of corals to get more money out of them, simple as that.

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I agree generally, although if they are actually really aquacultured pieces you can infer that they may tend to be more hardy in reef tanks because they've been proven to survive in captitivity. Just a small side benefit.

Also, the LE can have some other implications meaning that when they are first "released" it may be more rare in the hobby than other corals of similar coloration etc. No guarantees though and a lot of people misuse the term as well I think so be careful and don't get ripped off.
    If you are one of those people that have to be the first kid on the block with something then you can keep your eyes out for these but IMO it's not worth it.