What is the best method to low nitrates or maintain 0

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by maxter, Nov 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. maxter

maxter Flamingo Tongue

like the tittle say i want to know what is the best method out there to get 0 nitrates m new to the hobby my tank only have about 3 month and i never get lower of 25 even when i do my water change :S :S only feed my 4 fish and coral once a day so am not crazy feeder...

my tank is 65 gal and i do 10 to 15 gallon wc every 15 days...
    i have one yellow tang(dont blame me please my wife made me buy this fish )
    3 green chromis
    1 little clown fish

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I would check your test kit to see if it has expired. You could adjust your feedings. 3 times a week is suffice and will help out. I would also make your water changes done weekly at 10% to keep parameters stable. Then there are biopellets or denitrification bacteria to dose to aid in that. Even vodka dosing has help. Side note, what may work in your tank or others may not work in theirs or yours.

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Where you are starting from is important. Live rock? Filtration? Specs are helpful.

5. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

A refugium with macro for nutrient export.

6. maxter

maxter Flamingo Tongue

i like the result of vodka dosing but m kinda scare to use since i dnt have so much experience, i was thinking in buy a biopellet reactor but need more info about this thing ..,a refugium its impossible for me cuz my sump only have 3 chamber and i have the skimmer in the second chamber but i would love to do it

my tank have aprox 70 lb of live rock and 40 live sand my return pump its rated for 873 gph also have two koralia the 425 and one seio the 320 for filtration m only running a protein skimmer and a filter socks

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

look into nopox by red sea. 65 gallons for a yellow tang is not ideal but its not dramatic either.

+1 on new test kits
    if you are using tap water then that might also be the source of your no3. invest in an RODI unit if you can

8. Click Here!

9. maxter

maxter Flamingo Tongue

i buy the water in my lfs am using redsea test kit only like two month old tomorrow m going to my lfs to buy some corals they test my water for free so tomorrow i let u knows about the parameters.... and

i have another question if there a option to me to create a refugium and also run a protein skimmer but with the same sump ? heres a picture of my sump ....

10. maxter

maxter Flamingo Tongue

11. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

What skimmer do you have?

I have personally have had an amazing experience with biopellets

12. maxter

maxter Flamingo Tongue