What is the best food for corals?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ralphj, Aug 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ralphj

Ralphj Plankton

Hi,

As of now, i feed my corals twice a week by spot feeding, was using Reef Snow from Brightwell, but now changed to Kent Corals liquid food.

Is there a better option, and maybe easier, not by spot feeding?

What do you advise?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FWIW, corals don't really require target-feeding if you're feeding fish a quality food in the same tank.

That said, it depends on the coral. All corals absorb dissolved organics. Leathers may also ingest Marine Snow or something similar, SPS will accept zooplankton or other fine preparations, and LPS can take larger foods, such as mysis.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

The best food for corals, hands down, is quality light.

Most corals, hand feeding is primarily for your enjoyment of seeing the action. Most don't need it. Yeah, it can potentially encourage faster growth (also of algae). And dirtier water conditions.

It isn't about maintaining coral, it's about maintaining water quality. Manual feeding makes maintaining water quality harder. IMO, that trumps any gains you get from manual feeding.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I've found out the hard way that corals need more than light and quality water. The are both a must. But there is something to be said for DOC. However, well fed fish should meet your needs.

My coral were pale and growth less before adding and feeding more fish.

Now they are vibrAnt and growing

6. Ralphj

Ralphj Plankton

Hi Peredhil,
    What do u feed your corals?

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't. I have lights on a timer. I have colonies over 5 years old in my tank.

Occasionally, if I have a friend over and want to show how cool it is when this or that takes food, I use something chunky for the demonstration. Mostly, fresh seafood from the market that I chop up and put some liquid vitamin/fat drops on. That's fairly rare.

My nems are exceptions. I feed them every few weeks a chunk of fish or shrimp or clam or something that is on sale at the market. I like chunks because they don't really make for a dirty tank. The nem (or LSP, whatever) takes in all of it.

Agreed benefits of DOC - but that comes from feeding your fish and their pooping, not from feeding the corals.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I was going to multiquote- but I didn't.

I totally agree with the above!

Unless you have non photosynthetic corals- AND they're not growing/doing well- then maybe some spot feeding.

Light, intensity, duration all play the most important factor for almost all corals grown in captivity. There are usually fish in the tank they're in, and the uneaten foods, and the fish poop, etc. seem to do well.
    I have just about 60 different specie of coral in my DT, and do not spot feed anything.

I do spot feed my nems - 3 different ones- usually spectrum pellets- like the fish usually eat.

I totally agree with the above that spot feeding just adds more food for your system to deal with.
    Last time I looked it up, what was it- 95+ % of coral food comes from the by products of light via the zooanthellae algae.

I think many people fell better by spot feeding, or feeding 'coral food'.

It's kind of like modding my v8 truck and going on the boards on the net about it.
    There is so much mis information and garbage about horsepower and most mods.
    Case in point- a 'cat-back' rarely ever dynos any gains, yet the owner who just dropped $200 + will swear it's faster!

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have these car tail lights for sale, they harness the *natural* energy used in the speed of light to propel you more efficiently increasing speed while reducing fuel consumption! It is recommended you only install these to the rear of the vehicle and don't apply the brakes (as that only intensifies the light/energy output). Obviously this would never show up on a dyno. I can sell a set for $5,678.99.

:p
    In case I have to say it, j/k

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Although not necessary, I spot feed my corals not on a regular basis but I think regular spot feeding by some aquarists has resulted in some impressive growth. I use reef chili and feed my fish regularly.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I spot feed my LPS weekly with Mysis, and SPS every other week with Oyster Feast. I definitely noticed far more growth with LPS when they are fed.