What is the best combination for a 4-bulbs T5 TEK system?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by CyberGuy, Oct 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

I am planning to get the 24" 4-bulbs HO T5 TEK system.

However, which bulbs combination should I get bring out the best coloration (make the tank look natural) and make sps thrive and grow?

The options are:

AquaBlue Plus (60% Actinic, 40% White), 6K Midday, Actinic Plus or Pure Actinic.

By the way, the tank is 40 gal and about 22 inches tall with 1.5 inch sand bed.

2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

For my 75g, I also run 4 T5s.

2 Actinics (on for 13 hours) one of each Pure & Plus.
    2 whites (on for 10 hours) chose the white with no yellow, don't remember if they are the 6k midday or not.

This is a bit light for the 75, but all of the soft corals & anemones are doing great and showing growth. I do not plan to host hard corals or clams.

Good luck.

4. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

Will the 96 watts total of that TEK T5 system good enough for my 40 gallon tank? Again, my tank is 22" in height and 24" in length. It has about 1-1.5" sand bed.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not sure about the T'5 bulbs true coloration and spectrum.But when I ran VHO's I always ran say on a 90 4 total 48 inch. VHO's
    2. URI actinic Whites I think are close to the Aqua Blue Plus (60% Actinic, 40% White

Then I ran two super actinics also. I ran the super actinic for 16 hrs a day and the actanic whites for 12 hrs a day. Stay away from any bulb with the word day or sun in them the K will be to cool and will cause algae problems These above K value bulbs are very hot and and alga's hate that. Coraline's love it though as do corals and clams as for the total light value in wattage you might be a tad shy for anything other then some softs and LPS up nearer the top . And then thats Iffy at best for the LPS corals like I said I'm not that crazy about the T 5's and not that sure they do what they are reported to do..in the long term. maybe someone who uses these on a daily basis can help you out..

6. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

I have been running T5-HO TEK 8 bulb on my 90gal for 6 months now and everything is doing great (i.e. sps, lps, softies and even clams). Running from front to back geismann bulbs and it is very bright white. When whites go out the blues look great. I will be changing the whites to blue for more blues and going with the new UV lighting.

current setup
    1 Pure Actinic
    1 Actinic Plus
    1 AquaBlue Plus
    1 AquaBlue Plus
    1 AquaBlue Plus
    1 AquaBlue Plus
    1 Actinic Plus
    1 Pure Actinic

My suggestion on a 4 bulb would be.

White (Bright look)
    1 Actinic Plus
    2 AquaBlue Plus
    1 Pure Actinic

Blue (Vibrant blue look)
    1 Actinic Plus
    1 AquaBlue Plus
    1 Actinic Plus
    1 Pure Actinic

7. FENKER=mountain_boy

FENKER=mountain_boy Plankton

i have the 4x54w and i got 2 actinic +, 1 aquablue and 1 daylight, and its great color and gives the coral a nice pop

[​IMG]