what is tha difrens in T5 HO and T5 V-HO

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by freyre, May 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. freyre

freyre Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hi i am up dating my light and doing a retro kit with a ice cap balast the has 440 w and going to be using t5 so i need to know what is the difrents betuing
    t5 HO and t5 V-HO like the one you fine in marinedepot.com i think they are UVL bulbs.... plase let me know A.S.A.P.:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

The T5HO are the ones that are the thin bulbs and are designed to be overdriven, as in with an icecap ballast, etc.There is also normal T5s. VHO are like the T12 size, but Very High Output, are higher watts, and run hotter.

4. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Well, also Reefgeek has two retro kits for T5s...............High Output which is run by a normal ballast and Very High Output which is an icecap ballast that overdrives the T5s. Are you talking about VHO's or Overdriven T5 Bulbs?

5. freyre

welll the UVL bulbs say t5 V-HO but is the the same as a VHO bulbs

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Those T5's have variable output, it's Variable High Output, not the Very High Output of T12. I don't know all the ratings, but the 24" UVL is rated at 24/40W T5. Keep in mind that over-driving the bulbs mean they need to be replaced twice as fast. I hope this helps.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

T5HO are really not meant to be run at more watts than they are rated at, (t5Vho) but it can be done.

IC merely tried out t5HO tubes on their 440and 660 ballasts, and it worked, running them at more watts.

There are drawbacks to OD'ing t5s, liek shorter bulb life, needing to cool them actively, and a slight change in color. The biggest issue with OD'ing t5ho bulbs is that in most instances, overdriving them is not necessary, nor good for certain corals.

It all depends what you want to keep, and if the pluses and minuses work out for you.

8. Click Here!

9. freyre

oooooooooo ok well thank you very much i ok i will just get one at my local pet store is call marine dreams and they are very good to me ... they have a spacial right now off a t5 fisture with 4 bulb coral live that are 65w eash for 150.00 what you guys think

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

That eerily sounds like a PC fixture with normal 65w PC bulbs trying to be pawned off as t5ho lights. I have never seen 65w t5s. 2 foot t5ho are 24w, 3 footers are 39w, 4"= 54w, and 5 footers are 80 w.

FWIW, PC's are 5/8 of an inch, but really should not ever be called t5, even though t5 means 5/8" bulbs.

Can you send a link to the fixture they want to sell you???

11. freyre

REALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so thay aren't any t5 65 w only 54w oooooooo!!!!! ok i havent look at them but i will keep and eye out and if there are not t5 i wont by them thanks for that info i was ...i think i am going with a retro kit with a ho balast.... thanks avery one your al are the best!!!!!!

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Yes, if you want to keep clams or high light demanding corals in a deeper tank, be ready to spend a little more than you would for a Power Compact (PC) bulb fixture. If a used 4x65w PC fixture is what you're looking for, I have used one if you are in the CT area.