What is my new clown fish doing?! HELP!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Charlotte06au, Nov 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Im hoping this isn't yet another fake post just to get people upset. I would think it was for real except for the fact that they haven't answered any of our questions.

If this isn't another fake post, please answer the questions we have asked several times so we can find the best course in aiding you. Also please slowlyacclimate thosefish into your partner's tank.

If this is fake, for shame.

2. Click Here!

3. Charlotte06au

Charlotte06au Plankton

as if its a fake post. i haven't answered yet because i was busy moving the fish and it was at night so i just got up.
    the rock is from a tank in the shop, and the sand is from my partners very well established tank. the clowns are in quarantine now and they seem better. i dont have fish in my tank now, going to test it all and leave it without fish for another 3-4 weeks and see how it cycles.
    the reason we put them in so soon was because they are usually hardy fish and my blenny has been absolutely fine, and we used sand, water and rock from established tanks sooo we only had the cycle process go for 2 weeks as opposed to a month. please dont attack me, ive been unhappy enough as it is. thanks.
    going to test it all today. and i have a big feeling its the ammonia level.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

glad to hear their in a QT and doing better :D

5. Charlotte06au

Charlotte06au Plankton

Thankyou Puffer Chick

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Please please don't think we are attacking, because that is completely not our purpose. We asked so many questions because not much info was given to what might lead to positive answers. Glad your clowns seem better, hope they get even better. Please keep us posted.
    And just know that sometimes people are a little harsh because they care about the well being of the fishies but by no means we mean to be rude. ;)

7. Charlotte06au

Charlotte06au Plankton

Thanks, that's ok, I have just been having the worst luck lately and I cant understand why, its as though im jinxed.
    However, things are on the up side. Although, my blenny did die today :( :( because the water was polluted by something on the rock that had died.
    The reason I say things are on the up side is because my clown fish are happy, eating and seem a lot healthier!! They're doing just fine thank goodness we saved them in time.

I have now have a new tank. My tank was really small and now I have a new one that is 21 litres (5 and a half gallons) so you can imagine how much smaller my tank was. It has clean sand in there, new water, just letting it all settle now before I rinse my rocks and put them in later on today and it will go through the full cycle process.

Thank you everyone for your input.

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

wait, how small was your tank?

10. Charlotte06au

Charlotte06au Plankton

it was too small. we wanted to try it but we shouldnt have and we've learned now at the poor expense of my blenny :cry:. it was just unfortunate that the rock wasnt right. thanks though for asking. my clown fish will now have ample room as they are very tiny. they're doing so very well in my partners tank for the time being. im so glad the little guys are getting a lot healthier in the good water.

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

So wait... How big was your tank before?
    To my understanding 1 clownfish can't be in a tank smaller that 10 gals let alone 2 and a blenny. Thats much of a bioload.. What I recommend for you to do is get a 29g. They are the perfect size for your 2 clowns and maybe some more small fish such as a new blenny or maybe 3 chromis.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i say your tank size has been your issue. 6 gallons wayyyyy to small for almost all fish especially clowns. Small tanks are known to be much harder than big tanks and usually are only for the experienced saltwater enthusiast. Parameters probably weren't able to stay stable and with such a small tank stress probably was a major issue. It's usually said that a 55 gall is good to start with that way if parameters go slightly wrong you have some room to work with, plus you could have a lot more fish. If money is an issue you wouldn't have to go reef, you could go FOWLR so that way the cost isint as high. But if space is an issue and since you already have the fish is either take the fish back until you can get a bigger tank, or as stated above you might be able to get away with a 29 gallon which would be perfect for two clowns