What is my new clown fish doing?! HELP!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Charlotte06au, Nov 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Charlotte06au

Charlotte06au Plankton

Hi there!!
    JUst bought 2 new clown fish but one keeps swimming a bit then sitting on the sand and leaning over..... :(
    [​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG]

he doesnt have an anenome but did in the shop, is he just used to sleeping in one? or is he dying :( :( ive had the worst luck with other things lately...

temp is fine, my blenny has been living happily in there, and the other clown fish is also new and is constantly looking at the ground...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

Doesn't sound good, what are your water parameters????

4. Charlotte06au

Charlotte06au Plankton

to be honest, sounds silly, but i dont know... my partner has a fantastic tank and we used his sand and water etc. he doesnt know what the parameters are either... the ph level was fine when he first ever checked but he hasnt needed to since...

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Get those params tested ASAP! Either take a container of water to the LFS or buy an API liquid test kit (I say API because they are usually cheap and easy to come by). Do NOT use test strips as they are inaccurate.
    If you cannot get all of the test kits you should need, get a kit that contains:
    Nitrates
    Nitrites
    Ammonia
    Ph
    Those are the most important at the moment
    What is the salinity?
    How long has the tank been set up?
    How long did you acclimate the fish?

6. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

did you put new rock in there or from his tank? sounds like your tank is cycling, and if it is a new tank then that scooter blenny (or whatever that is next to the clown) is going to die because of the lack of pods to eat.

7. Charlotte06au

Charlotte06au Plankton

ive come home from work and now the other clown fish is swimming upside down! i have never seen fish behave this way before.

my blenny is always eating so he should be fine, he has been happy since he was put in the tank.

if they make it through the night we're going to move them into my partners tank and see if they prefer it in there.

i will get a test kit for my tank too.

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I honestly dont think they will make it another full day. I would move them now, then get a test kit.

10. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

maybe you didn't see this part so I'll ask again. where did the rock come from that is in your tank?

11. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

omg i hate seeing this. please do your homework. dont buy anymore fish until you and your partner have a test kit to check your water.

did you acclimate?

Do you understand the cycle process?
    has your tank cycled yet?

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

How long has your tank been set up? You can give them to your partner now?
    If your tank is new that could be the cause Although I've cycled a tank with clowns in my super super noob days and it worked.. Clowns are usually hardy fish, That's why I'm concerned about your tank.. Something must be completely out of whack... You need to test your params salinity, ammonia, nitrates...etc asap. And yes where did that rock come from?
    And sand.??
    I wouldn't add any fish until you make sure all your params are good.
    Do you know what a cycle is? And how it's done?