What is better GLASS or PLEXIGLASS???

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by beachboy_ss, Jan 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beachboy_ss

beachboy_ss Plankton

I would like to know what you guys and girls think is a better, glass or plexi? And can scratches be removed from plexi?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A lot of scratches can be buffed out with plexiglass but they are more prone to scratches than glass. They do sell kits to help remove the scratches from plexiglass. I prefer glass for reefs and plexi is nice in the freshwater setups. I have a 75 gallon show tank for my turtle that I can lift and move by myself.

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

If your new, stick with glass, less scratches and many times he wait isnt too important as long as you have it in its permanent place from the start. If i had a plexi from the beggining i would not even be able to see in my tank with all of the times i accidentally scratched (But not made a mark in the glass) something sharp or metal on the tank. But as Matt (The Enlightened One) said they can be removed. Many times its personal preferance, but glass tends to be easier to clean and more scrath resistant.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

its acrylic not plexi, believe it or not there is a difference
    glass is more money, heavier, but wont scratch as easily, all holes need to be drilled prior to assembly
    acrylic is cheaper, lighter, scratches easily, and can be drilled anytime

i like glass better for the main tank everything else can be acrylic

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I perfer glass, only b/c its stronger(IMO) and as stated already, the scratches.