what is basically relation between calcium,magnesium,ph,alkaline and iodine?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nybatu, May 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Randy Holmes-farley >

Many aquarists dose iodine, and claim that certain organisms need it to thrive. Often mentioned are shrimp, Xenia species of soft corals, mushroom corals, and more. However, no evidence for an iodine requirement by these organisms appears anywhere in the scientific literature. They also thrive quite well in many coral reef aquaria where iodine is not dosed. Of Reef Central’s Tanks of the Month for the past couple of years, the majority do not supplement with any form of iodine (or at least do not mention doing so), although some certainly do dose it.

I do not presently dose iodine to my aquarium, and I do not recommend that others do so, either.
    Iodine dosing is much more complicated than dosing other ions due to its substantial number of different naturally existing forms, the number of different forms that aquarists actually dose, the fact that all of these forms can interconvert in reef aquaria, and the fact that the available test kits detect only a subset of the total forms present. This complexity, coupled with the fact that no commonly kept reef aquarium species are known to require significant iodine, suggests that dosing is unnecessary and problematic.

On the other hand, it is nevertheless possible that some organisms that we keep do actually benefit from iodine, and that in some aquaria there is not enough in the foods that we add so that supplements may possibly be beneficial in those aquaria. < End quote from Randy holmes-farley

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And what year was that written?

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

um... Im not quite sure what you're saying I said. The levels of Iodine I was using that killed nuissance algae would kill anything if left in that solution long enough. 40-50 drops of Lugol's to 1 quart of water. At 20 mins zoa's are starting to blister from it, however all bryopsis is withering away. I do dose Iodine on zoa grow out tanks because it has been shown to improve growth rates on supposed "slow growing" zoa's such as PPE. But thats only on zoa tanks.

If you do frequent water changes on a typical reef tank with a quality salt, that should give you proper iodine levels. If you have a tank packed wall to wall soft corals, then you might need to dose iodine. The only persons tank Ive seen on here that might require that would be Omard's.

5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Oh i did not catch the "year" written by Randy Holmes-farley ( sorry will get date written )

Myself/geegafied have been looking into the effects of iodine, ( because of it's seemingly abilitys to help control parasite on coral/etc. ,
    we have noted:
    from tanks that are suplimented with iodine that algae growth is notibly void to non exsistent in these tanks).

I'm wanting to try some "controlled tests" but have no aglae test subjects as of yet.
    I'm very interested in being certain on these findings and beleave supplimenting iodine far out ways the threat of "not dosing at all"
    we/> me/geekafied beleave it does have it's positives.

Do you have some you and tangster could send me perhaps or some one else like the bryposis/hair/ others so i could do a controlled tests ?

6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Right, right geek, sorry, but we both agree it has it's "benifits"

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Iodine doesn't help many inverts molt.....excess amounts CAUSE them to molt. Sometimes to their detriment. Most salt mixes contain substantial Iodine and many of our foods we feed our fish contain substantial I as well. I will not dose it myself, nor recommend that anyone else doses I into their tanks. This is one of those things like ozone where if you do it wrong, you nuke your tank.

I would recommend this as a rule. If you cannot explain to me in 10 seconds or less the difference between Iodine, Iodide, and Iodate, you shouldn't be putting it into your tank

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Iodine has been used for years to control parasites via dipping, not dosing the tank. You might have misunderstood me on that. I should buy stock in Lugol's cause I use so much of it. The benefits of it are mostly for people doing what Im doing, not the everyday reefer.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Can you explain in 10 secs or less Curt?

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Brian,

You darn well I can. ;D

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

LMAO... I got the stop watch out, GO!!!