What is a mud filter?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by stauchistory, Sep 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

I had someone offer to sell me a mud filter, but I've never heard of one. Could someone tell me a little about them?

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

If it's what I think it is, it consists of a place to put miracle mud, topped with an algae. Miracle mud is basically plant fertilizer, so it lets the algae grow ultra fast, soaking up nutrients.

I literally had a conversation with inwall about this over the past couple days; let me post it, since it's probably a good overview. Start from the bottom, because of the quote order.

4. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Appreciate the response. Like I said someone offered to sell me one but I've never heard of it before. His message to me was:

I have a mud filter for a reef tank. You would not need all the sand in the tank. can run glass bottom with this. Had reefs for about 20 years and this was the best I ever had running. coral took off like mad and fish stress was zero. All you would need is the mud and bulbes for the lights. 50.00

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

What I would describe it as is a very shallow refugium. Miracle mud in the bottom. Mangroves for nitrate removal. THe supposed benefit was trace elements from the miracle mud. I felt normal refugiums were more value added.

M

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

He didn't tell you that you need algae, which makes me wonder if that's the same thing I was thinking.