What is a good temp?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Puffer Chick, Sep 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

their kind of big, but maybe i can hang one off the shelf that my light is going on, so long it doesn't cause my light to swing to much. But otherthan that looks like it might work

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yup i like the digital. I have a digitial on my fire belly toad tank, that only reads air. And reads perfect, i like knowing how hot or cold it is in my room. And i also like this dig because it reads both air and water. I went to the dig to have accuracy and it seems to be doing the job. I just wish it was a bit smaller, but it needs a battery and all so i think that's why it's kinda big. Seems much more accurate than my puffer tank's little stick on the glass thermometer strip.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i also just checked my temp, it's down to 81.something lol i forget the exact temp, so i think 83 may be the highest it gets. But it's also only 8:15 in the morning so it's probably going to get a little hotter throughout the day

5. star_wolf_us

star_wolf_us Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had the same problem. At first I had a Wal-Mart heater in the tank and the temp flucuated like crazy. Then I bought a visi-therm stealth and the temp hasn't fluctuated more than .5 degrees since I put it in service. Also I put my fuge light up on stilts instead of letting it sit on the edges of my fuge and that helped a ton as well. Hope this helps. ;)

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i have the same heater, but a 250w set at 76, it has yet to turn on

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Turn it up to say 81 or 82. It's the fluctuations in temp that are really bad for your tank. Once you can run the AC in your house again drop the temp to 80.

Also, I used to have a Stealth heater. I found out it was leaking electrical current into my tank. If I had my arm in the tank and touched my metal light I would get a nasty tingle. I replaced the Stealth with two smaller Hydor heaters. They keep the temp spot on. I also added a ground probe.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, were able to turn the AC on in the evening, so it cools down a bit i believe we have our thermostat set at 78. And ok, i will turn up the temp of the heater then.

And i think i'll keep the stealth for now, as i still need a few other important things that i need to get. But when i get the spare money i think i'll switch heaters, i don't want that to happen to me or my tank.

10. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

I have one heater unplugged and the 250 watt turned down to 78 degrees and cant get it under 80 degrees. I usually leave it right their. I have it set up to call my phone if the temp drops to 78degrees or lower but I turned off air and opened all the windows and nothing changed it might come up about .5 degrees when the halides are on but thats all.