what is a good led lighting system?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by kuzamu, Apr 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kuzamu

kuzamu Plankton

Hi, what is a good led lighting system for corals and fish?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

bump to the top of the pile to get an answer :)

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

What size tank, what is your budget, what type of coral do you plan on keeping?

5. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I have been using 2 of the 144 watt units from www.smgsllc.com for the last 2 years and have been very happy with them. They are well built and a bit cheaper than most big name suppliers.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

If you can manage to get ahold of a PFO fixture, they are reallly good

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I just thought I would throw this in, I have the power bright strips and if they are not 12" or more above the aquarium, you get concentrated splotches of light and not much shimmer. My LFS buddies (2 different guys/stores) both say they are more for effect than for "good" lighting and after using them (which I don't anymore) I have to agree.
    I am using the Panorama Modules currently. I have one in my 14 gal. Biocube (along with one stock PC) and the effect is fantastic. I am using 2 in my 55 gal. (along with 2 T5 bulbs) and again the effect is real nice. The draw back is that each module uses its' own power supply and they are not linkable. I got one LFS buddy to contact them and voice the suggestion they come out with linkable units.
    I did see the new "bulbs", 48" tubes with, I think 70 leds in them. The ones out when I was visiting my buddys' LFS were blue only and the 50/50 combos were due out in 2 weeks so they should be out now. For the life of me I can't remember the name. I will try to remember and post or someone here may know. Here is a site with some options but they are Marine limited; LED Aquarium Lights; AquaRay/ AquaBeam Cree XR emitters & Rio Mini Sun; Metal Halide

10. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

That looks like a nice system.

11. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I have been very happy with it. I had 1 led go out in the 2 years and the rest still operate whic is good. I hear some of the others if 1 bulb goes out the entire unit stops working, or at least that bank of colors. The single led cluster is easy to replace and runs around the same price as most bulbs. I think it was around $34 from smg with the leads already souldered to the led cluster. You can find the plain leds online for cheaper if you have soldering skills. So far this has been a very good unit and has been almost trouble free.