What is a good accurate test for Nitrate??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Durty Dj's 916, May 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Currently testing nitrate with API. Just did the test 2 times and is said my nitrates were off the charts over 130 ppm. This has to be wrong right. Nothing can survive in that right? Haven't lost a fish in over 9 months all corals and inverts are doing fine. Any one know of a better test kit? This reading has to be wrong or my tests are expired or something.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

API arnt always the best how old are the test kits? Take a sample to your lfs and let them test it

I'm personally a redsea guy if your looking for new test kits

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My api was off on alk. Not sure about nitrates for api. I went to all salifert.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

6. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

ok for sure these tests are quite old. But I am correct though nothing can survive in that right or could it be an accurate reading?

7. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I don't think any corals (SPS or softies) would survive that for long, but some fish may have no noticeable issue with it, while other more sensitive fish may.

As far as test go - I like the Salifert for it's simplicity and quick results. But I also like the Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit for the accuracy and it's super easy to read results.