what is a chalice?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Peredhil, May 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I didn't see this under coral of the month. I have never seen one in real life. Only pics online.

How do they grow? From the pics I see and so forth, I get the impression this is an encrusting type of coral that will cover a rock. Is that right?

Can they be kept under T5 and do they require much feeding?

I feel like I should be able to look this up, but I can't seem to find any solid info on chalices.

Info or pointers to a good info source would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

this is my Pale purple with hot pink mouths chalice. i keep under T5s medium flow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

they seem to do well with medium to medium high flow like most other sps' but they can range anywhere from medium low to high lighting and do fine, I bought a frag of a blue/green one about 4 months ago and it's already doubled in size, but it's still so small it only has 1 mouth, I dont target feed it just keep your calc/alk up and they grow very well
    their also a fairly inexpensive coral until you get into the more odd color patterns, the ones like the zombie eyes that are common you can often get a frag for 5-10 bucks that is a 1" square and it grows fairly fast for an encrusting sps

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

A challice is an echinophyllia.

Many are the red / pink variety as shown of some sort. I have one sort of similar to what dasco has, but more red and pink.

The ones like dasco has is one of the more desireable ones. They are an encrusting type of LPS, and yeah t5s are more than enough to keep them.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Pectiniids

dont have any myself so cant offer any ideas

but I did a google and thought you might enjoy this

Steve

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yep, that would be a good way to describe them.

They really don't grow "up" much. Just a bit here and there. Some do grow up pretty well, but my friend at Midwest Saltwater, Bill, says those don't take well to tank life.

Mine looks like the one you are looking at.

10. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Mine is attached to a rock and encrusted on the rock until it ran past the edge and then it kept going outward on it's own skeleton. Treat it like any other LPS. It's likes moderate flow, is adaptable where lighting is concerned and LOVES coral frenzy.

Mine was cheap and is solid purple but I'm getting a baby blue one with green mouths once it has been in the store two weeks (5 days to go). Since I work there I have to wait so we aren't cherry picking stock.

11. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Is it hard to work there and wait too,
    Or do you just tell customer's it is already sold the gentleman
    has'nt picked it up yet.....
    Danny

12. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

If I remember right LiveAquaria is a bit steep on shipping but there sponser's are very resonable....
    Danny