What if calcium is to high?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by RubenH, May 15, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RubenH

RubenH Plankton

My calcium level is at 500 or a little above that is that to high? Where do I want it to be? I did a water change last week im using Oceanic salt is that good salt? And I dont add any other type of calcium cause its already high. So what am I doing wrong. Please Help.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Alk might be low

4. RubenH

RubenH Plankton

Just tested my alk and it is low its at about 80 the test kit says it should be at 105-125 Ive got SALIFERT KH + PH buffer is that any good? and how should i use it since its in powder form. Do I desolve it in water first and how long after adding it should i see some results. What do you use to raise your alk?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oceanic salt has been known to have high Ca and low alk.

You could try adding the buffer...disolve the powder in some freshwater that you would use for top off. You can drip it in via a Kent Doser like this one..
    http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KENT-AQUADOSE&Category_Code=Dosers

or you can make your own. Just raise the container above the water line (drip into your sump if you have one) and put a piece of airline tubing into it, tie a knot in it, and place the other end just above the waterline (so you can see the drops dripping in) Adjust the knot to get a several drips per minute.

You should wait a full 24 - 48 hours for full effect before adding more.:)

6. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

Ruben, your calcium level is not so far out of the norm that you need worry. As a matter of fact, depending what you just did to your tank, ie water change, top off, supplement, etc will efect your calcium level. Did you know that the amount of co2 in the room of your aquarium drives your pH which effects the Ca and Alk readings. Anyway, I don't know what scale you are measuring Alk with, dKH, meq/L, or ppm CaCo3, but here is a conversion chart so we can all be on the same page; http://ozreef.org/content/view/5/2/ . now here is a site that is a little in depth, but it will help you immensely if you look at the chart provided of Ca vs. Alk, determine which area you fall in, and follow the instructions on how to correct your situation. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm I don't know what you have in your tank, but you are not in a drastic situation, so relax, and read this site. I hope this helps you and others.
    Chris

2 people like this.
  7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

That is one of my fave article on Ca and Alk...I refer to it often!!!;)

8. Click Here!

9. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

Interesting article very easy to understand if youy are not a chemist. Karma to you Chris I have been struggling with this topic for some time.