What Happened?!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by chemicalblue, Mar 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chemicalblue

chemicalblue Astrea Snail

This morning I came downstairs to find chaos in my 36Reef! I shortly discovered a small blue damsel had been mutilated by something. The back half of his body is almost gone, looks like it went through a grinder, poor fellow. I am assuming he got sucked into one of the powerhead intakes, but faught his way out. The water in the tank smells like fish stew, kind of nasty. Water is very cloudy, very ripe. One day I will spring for a tank with overflows and sump, so I will not have to experience these types of things anymore! Just thought I would share.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

That sucks! Sorry the hear that...I would do a water change and add some carbon to help to clean your water and rid the smell!

1 person likes this.
  4. chemicalblue

Thanks Coral Reefer, water change is a great idea. I have no experience with carbon. The LFS I'm going to shortly sells small bags of it(maybe 1.5 cups), Maybe I'll try it out. What are the other benefits of using carbon? Where will I put the bag in my primitive system?:confused:

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A water change will just upset the already unbalanced bactria the white hazy looking stuff in your tank will clear after about 48 to 72 hrs and Carbon would not hurt . That should be ran 24/7 anyways .. You may have somthing in there trying to eat the fish ? if L/R was used at the start ..I have never seen a fish small fish like this to ever escape a power head With its tail gone its get out of trouble low gear is gone.

1 person likes this.
  7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Fish still alive? lol maybe a stupid question. Anyways, could anything that tags along in LR actually get their hands on a damsel to do that much damage if it's entire rear end is gone?

Evan.

8. Click Here!

9. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

What other fish/inverts do you have in the tank?
    How much LR?

10. chemicalblue

I decided to do the water change, as nitrate was at 25. I've been fighting with this for a few weeks, when my 72 broke and I emergency airlifted everything into the 36, and it's been a week.
    That's a great article Guru, thank you. Great steps to follow, clear information for the beginner. I will experiment with some carbon now.
    I really like the get out of trouble low gear! Funny! The LR is 4 years old, I don't think there are any monsters in there.
    I believe it was an aggressive jewel damsel tank mate. He's crazy, and has lost his mind.
    I'll send a picture of what the 36 looked like a couple days ago, I've been migrating into a new 30breeder! Really excited about this new 30.
    Thanks for the information and questions, helps alot!

Attached Files:

11. rkemp

rkemp Astrea Snail

I have to agree with Tangster. I have come home to a dead fish that had 5 or 6 hermit crabs and cleaner shrimp having lunch.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

In this (very rare) case I don't....I think some serious back to back water changes are in order.

:-/