What got you started in SW?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by greybeard, Nov 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

just to bring the dream into reality a little more heres a pic of one of the many tanks [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Holy Crap batman... ummm... errrr.... WOW that is cool LOL

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

They have them at every Rainforest Cafe, and are one of the worst disgraces to the hobby of fishkeeping. They're super packed with starving tangs, monos, and other big fish. I didn't see a single tang that looked healthy the last time I went to the Menlo Park mall, where they have one of these tanks, with about 20-30 yellows and like 5 blues, among others.

5. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

oh no now i'm going to be sick i think. the tank was cool but the butt heads that overpack for commercial purposes while using a 'green theme' type name?
    I'm glad they dont' have a place in my neck of the woods so I don't get in trouble :(

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yup, they have animatronic animals in a rainforest type setting. Super noisy, with bad food, and a focus on selling merch (you walk through a store with safari and rainforest themed stuff before you get to the restaurant). On top of overpacking the tanks with starving fish.

The best part?

RC is owned by Landry's Restaurants, a company with over $1bn in revenue. Landry's operates 2 restaurants that are fully aquatic themed (with hundreds of thousands of gallons worth of tanks), and 2 full aquariums in Houston and Denver, on top of the 30 or so Rainforest Cafes.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I had upwards of 300 gallons of fresh water with some very cool fresh water fish including a large blue arawana. I decided that I wanted to try the salt water fish thing saying I would never own corals. I now am researching corals have some lps, and sps in the tank thinking I want a cool coral tank. I love the hobby now spent wat to much on 3 sw tanks and getting into it full blown. I am redoing the living room to expand it and considering a 1000 gallon tank in the wall. This is 2 years away but a reality.

8. Click Here!

9. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

so it's not like they dont' know any better or don't have the $$$ to do it right. Sick.

10. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

LOL I like this as I once said I'd never want the 'hassle' of corals. Too many things to monitor and such. That's out the window! LOL

Thanks for sharing mirandacollc!

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

no problem Its a fun hobby now and the wife is understanding. she is against the room thing but letting me have free reaighs.looking forward to a new build

12. Hiltonc57

Hiltonc57 Fire Worm

Well it all started with freshwater as a child than turned into me dumping a bucket of salt in to a tank not knowing what to do and than stopped doing it cause i couldnt keep a damsel :( but later(maybe 3 years) my brother and i got hooked by a clown trigger and many of the queen angels at LFS. We purchased a 46 gallon bow front(which is my reef today) and started slow and had a wet/dry sump with bio-balls haha a no no now for anything IMO. That was about 8 years ago and about 2 and a half years ago acros and green star polys got me hook because they looked like grass under water. Today i have three colonies of GSP and frag it every other week :)

Reefing isn't a hobby, its a life style.