What got you started in SW?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by greybeard, Nov 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I've had freshwater tanks for more than 20 years and have always wanted a SW tank but for one reason or another just kept putting it off. Having the FW fish as long as I have had them I spend a lot of time in various LFS's so I came to spend more time in the SW section than FW just daydreaming about the different challenges and types of creatures that I could take custody of and try to provide a good home for. Recently I was blessed with an unexpected bonus from work and I decided to treat myself to something and I decided to make the jump to saltwater. It's been fun, challenging, exciting and disappointing separately and at the same time now and again. I feel like I'm just about 20 feet up the side of trying to climb Mt. Everest with the knowledge I have versus what I want to learn.

2. Click Here!

3. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

sitting here talking on the ham bands wodering why i have a big screen tv in my man cave that i never watch ..... then i thaught you know would look cool right where the big screen was a nice 90+ gallon saltwater tank all down hill from there

4. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

I actually have, but I'm waiting till they give me an office at work :)

5. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

reminds me of the fish tanks i've seen made of converted old cabnet tv's :)

Thanks!
    Greybeard

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i just bought a naso tang... and i can sy that they are my favorite!
    As far as corals go, i like anything that is gorgeous. if it has a ORA or other name brand name on it, chances are its a very nice coral... thus very sought after

7. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

So was it the naso tang that got you hooked before you actually had a SW tank? Made you get serious about triing it?

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I threw up a 29G on a whim, and some clownfish, Decided to not do it anymore (this was a short period of time, few weeks) Then saw a Purple Tang at the pet store. And it was all downhill from there. 1st coral that got me hooked was the Toadstool leathers. :)

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I also did fw tanks for about 20 years,but the clownfish,i just had to have one(had nothing to do with the nemo movie).So i set up a basic sw tank with a pair of clowns and a yt damsel for a couple years.But after seeing a buddies reef tank loaded with nothing more than zoas,gsp and mushrooms,and a few fish,I was like,that must be hard to take care of,(he only had coralife t8 bulbs in his stock light fixture)he said no,he don't feed them,they don't need a bunch of expensive lighting,and they just keep growing and populating his tank.I bought a couple powerglo 10k bulbs and found some rock on craigslist,he then gave me some"starter corals"(ugly zoas,gsp and a few mushrooms)Then shortly after I really got into researching and upgrading even more.Been broke ever since,thanks buddy.;D

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Watching Jacques Cousteau as a child, it was the highlight of my week. When there is nothing but snow on the ground for months on end Mr. Cousteau adventures at sea seemed like the ideal life.

Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco, my parents took me there as a young child and they probably regretted it from that day forward. I pestered them for the rest of my childhood to return yearly.

12. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I loved that show!!!! I lived on the coast growing up (Louisiana, Puerto Rico, Florida) and loved anything and everything to do with the ocean. A saltwater tank has always been a dream of mine. Did freshwater for about 15 years before taking the plunge 2 years ago. No regrets!