What got you started in SW?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by greybeard, Nov 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I used to keep fresh water tanks. I really like them but they are not nearly as pretty as a reef tank IMPO. My wife and I saw a morish idol and a harlequin tusk in a saltwater fish store and that is what got me to switch. I have since changed my mind on the morish idol but I will get the harlequin tusk. I just havent found a small healthy one to buy yet. I have found bigger ones but I like to get them small so I can watch them grow.

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

i was in an apartment complex that only allowed me to own up to 10 gallon aquariums. I never realized I could have a SW setup in such a small aquarium until I walked into the LFS and saw a 10G nano setup at the front register. I started talking to the guy about it and started researching and ended up buying a mock setup of the one he was running. Same tank, same filter, lights, coral. haha. Loved the hobby so much I moved out of that apartment complex so I could upgrade my 10G to a 65G. Now im addicted for life.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

it was my follow up question that got me hooked actually

I said " what other corals are easy, good for beginners and will be fine with my fish "

I had 4 x T8s at the time - sold to me by the very person who sold me the Damsel and the GSP
    and was told "It will be easier for me to point at the ones you should not try to keep just yet or at all under that lighting "

I basically went every week and got 1 more coral from the beginners list I ended up with from that 1st purchase

Steve

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

walked through a pet store getting food for my dinosaurs :p and a friendly YWG came right up to the glass to see me. BAM did my research and about 3 months later i got a free BIocube 8 gal and a free 55gal.
    no YWG yet but when that 55 is up there will definetly be one :)

and not a coral but a blue maxima clam caught my attention

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

saw a 46 gallon BF at my friends house. now i have a 30 and a 55 gallon. i win haha

7. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

so it was more the over all variety and look of the reef in a tank that hooked you basically. I think that in the end that is most people... reefs are gorgeous... unless you are blind or a moron LOL ooops not politically correct but hey it is a reef forum so I might be safe!

Thanks as always Steve for the post
    GreyBeard

8. Click Here!

9. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Right on you keep hunting that small healthy harlequin tusk and thanks for sharing
    Greybeard

10. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Funny I had my 55 going at the store with a few fish and live rock with some nice comments then I set up a 6 gallon nano at the counter and suddenly everyone that has FW tanks says... 'That works???? I can do that!' and the sales finally started!

Thanks for sharing.. I love it... moving to have a bigger tank... I don't feel like such an addict now thanks! LOL

btw you must be stationed at Camp LeJ? sempter fi 86-90
    GreyBeard

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a maroon clownfish at a now out of business lfs.

12. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

LOL at me... I read YWG and I'm thinking... hmmmm young white girl... OHHHH yellow watchman goby right? LOL

yeah the only reason the maxima clam didn't do it for me is because I never even saw a pic until I already was setting up my first tank lol

Thanks som3!