What gives ?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jborlace, Jan 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 20 tall that I set up after downsizing from a 55. So basically the tank has been up for a year. My problem is some corals do great and some do horrible in my tank. I have about 100 polyps of radioactive dragon eyes that do great. Another brown colored with white spot in the center ZOA that has went from 15 to about 35 polyps. Frogspawn that opens great. A few other zoas that do fine. GSP does great. Almost covered one rock. I bought some frags from a fellow reefer two weeks ago and at first were fine. Now the candy cane looks shriveled up and just doesn't look as full as it did. My 4 polyp bam bam frag has only one polyp that opens. Another frag of fire and ice doesn't open good either. What could cause this. SG is 1.025. Amm, Nitrite and Nitrate are all zero. Cal, Alk and Mag are high. Did a four gallon WC tonight with instant ocean tonight to try and lower it. Was using Red Sea Coral Pro.

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Did you dip the frags? could be nudibranchs on the zoas?

What are phosphates? You said you have high mag, calc, and alk. If the candy cane came from a system with lower mag calc and alk, that's probably what's bothering it.

4. jborlace

I didn't dip them. I figured if they were fine in his tank they'd be fine in mine since none of my zoas have issues. Phosphates were at zero last week when I checked them.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Could be they are adjusting to your tank's parameters including lighting.

6. jborlace

I hope that's the case. Only other thing I can think of is the high Cal, Alk and Mag. I'm working to get those down.