What exactly do they do?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Oh ok cool, yea I've had good success with them...I've tried brightwells versions...I'm interested in the numbers though so I might just do my own test as well and post some numbers

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Airports are especially fun this way. I had a Christmas gift confiscated leaving LAX last month. It was a bottle of Caramel topping for coffee and such...guess they figured I could attract enough ants onboard for the hostile takeover! Rules and regulations world wide are making things much more difficult, hence, much more expensive than they need to be.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Please do so
    the more people who do this, the better the quality of information 3 reef will have, when people ask about certain products

instead of saying "Dont use that"

we will be able to say "If you do use that, without the guidance of a test kit, this is what may happen to your parameters"

Steve

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Agree, but the bigger issue may be things people don't test for such as iodine, strontium etc... If these get too high, they can be toxic and not many people test for them. That's why I suggested sending out for external testing, the results if just looking at the big 3 could be misleading and make it look like there is little danger. There is always a danger when you add things, but don't test. That is why I have issues with many of these proprietary products.

6. steve wright

is external testing free m2434?
    the products I am using are not - so I am taking one for the team here LOL

I am certain for example that the product I am using 1st - will throw the ca and alk balance out - it will increase the DKH at a faster rate than it will increase the Ca
    I want to be able to show that with evidence for future
    rather than just say "Dont dose with that product, use this product"

I want to be able to say for example
    "If you use this product, your DKH will increase at a faster rate than your Calc and in X amount of weeks depending on demand you may find your DKH has drifted outside of the generally accepted reef tank parameter

Steve

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I know ;D It is very appreciated and will be quite helpful. Who knows though maybe we can get a donation drive going? :)

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

the more people testing, the same and different products
    the better the quality of information the site will have

dont need a tank
    a spare bucket and power head will do
    pick a product, make additions based on guidelines
    and test

it would be great in future when the next person posts about Purple Up for example
    if we have a source of information as to what exactly prolonged use of Purple Up could do to a persons parameters ( if they decide to dose blind as Purple up is cheap compared to the cost of 3 test kits)

Steve

1 person likes this.
  10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

+100000000000000 There's so much we don't know about these additives and it wouldn't take much to figure a lot of it out.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Subscribed. Can't wait for the results.

12. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Agreed! And so I begin...I will start tomorrow