What eats reddish/brown algae on sand?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by sen5241b, Mar 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sen5241b

sen5241b Astrea Snail

Its dark reddish to brown, stringy and covers the sand. What eats reddish/brown algae on sand? I've heard only troncus snails will eat this kind of algae.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like cyanobacteria/red-slime. I've heard electric blue legged hermits. Not regular B L hermits. And the name might be wrong, but, it's something like that. Increased water flow and other reef safe remedies are also available.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Trochus and Cerith snails, reef Cowries, Conch and Sea Cucumbers.
    Your best bet is not to try to try and control it but find the underlying reason why you are getting cyanobacteria and correct it, such as increasing water flow to the benthic areas of your tank.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I used a sea cucumber!!!!!

6. sen5241b

sen5241b Astrea Snail

It is cyanobacteria/red-slime and you're right I do not have enough flow. I'm trying to attack it in multiple ways.

7. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

You'll definitely want to increase your flow. How often are you feeding your fish and what are you feeding them? How big is the tank and how many fish are in it? Give us your water params and we'll be able to help you better. Also what kind of filtration are you running?