What eats Pyramid snails?

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by 55gfowlr, Jun 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

If you were to look at my tank 4 months ago, all you would see were Pyramid snails. I actually thought they were Ceriths breeding, there were so many. I bought a small rock with some Kenya and green Discosoma, and inadvertently acquired some Collonista snails (to which I had to learn these were in fact not baby turbos, Thanks 2in10)... So, Now when I look around my tank I can not see one single Pyramid, but see dozens upon dozens of collonistas. Could my new Collonista be invading and in fact taking out the Pyramids?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think the Pyramid snails may have run out of food and died off. Halichoeres wrasses and Paracheilinus wrasses are supposed to eat Pyramid snails.

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I was thinking that pyramid snails only ate on clams.... do they attack anything else?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think they may go after larger snails but am not sure.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes they are parasitic to snail such as Turbos. There are also many types, one type may be both parasitic to clams and snails and another just clams.

Problem with Wrasses is that the snails are nocturnal, out and feeding when wrasses are sleeping.

Manual removal and absence of food source have been the only effective remedy for me.

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Nice, so being that all of my turbos are still alive up to this point, Its safe to say I didn't get the other type of pyramid. I have no wrasses, and don't own clams simply because I know there's already (or at least was) pyramids present. Thanks for the input. I was hoping to one day get a clam in my new tank with the higher lighting. I'll feel much better knowing there's no threat now.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Check your Turbo and other snail at night for the Pyramids just to make sure.

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Can someone post a pic of these little buggers? I may have them also but don't know exactly what they look like. Thanks!!

11. Corailline

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Cool, that definitely helps prove 3 things. The original ID was correct about the type of snail (Pyramid), the types that I had didn't agree with a turbo appetite, since all I ever saw around my turbos was tiny turd pellets, and that I'm finally rid of those buggers for the moment. That doesn't mean they won't pop up sometime later, but as of last night I couldn't find one single snail (and today, to which I previously always saw mine out during lights on time) I don't know if this was strange to their behavior, but maybe they never had any real food to begin with, and got desperate. Thanks Cheryl. ;D