What eats fish poop thats on sand?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mkizla, Sep 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

No definitely not - they do scavenge the tank looking for pods but are not detritus / "poop" eaters so don't get one for that reason. They don't sift the sand either.

2. Click Here!

3. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

If you have poop settling on your sand then you may not have enough flow.. most people are suggesting a poop eater.. i am suggesting a powerhead to keep that poop up int he water column so your skimmer or other filtration can suck it out

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

okay so...then what is a good poop eater?
    Most of the discussion was towards on ro/di :D

I have biocube stock power head, and also koralia 2 power head. I placed it on right side top of the tank, with head tilted down a bit. Since biocube stock pump is in the left side. I really dont want to spend money on extra koralia? or do i have to?

5. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Read my post... :)

You shouldnt have much poop settling if you have proper flow and filtration...

Other than that... if you have a decent size tank.. a sand sifting star are great and cheap

6. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

I would get some Nassarius or cerith snails to get rid of any left over food and decaying "stuff" on the sandbed. Otherwise good amount of flow will help more than anything IMO

7. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

i only have 29 gallon, so people dont recommand me getting the sand sifting star, because it will starve to death?

8. Click Here!

9. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ya whoever said that is smart they need a pretty big tank with a large sand bed to keep them healthy and even then there hard to keep i have a 55 and got one when i was a newbie he lasted about 9 months before he went down hill which is pretty good but still i suggest instead of fish, inverts are the way to go. nassarious snails eat meaty food on the bottom but wont eat detritus like most people belive

10. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

ditritus is a fish waste...right?
    So what eats ditritus?