What does your Hammer look like at night?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by cj5_dude, Dec 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

I work a swing shift and come home and check out my tank at 3am each day. I know what my coral are supposed to look like during the day but don't have a clue at night.

Does anybody have photo's of their hammer coral to show me what it's supposed to look like at night when it's healthy so I know mine is good? I don't have the ability to take photo's due to camera limitations myself.

2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

i dont have a pic but teh look kindda shrivvled up

4. aznbob

aznbob Plankton

I don't have a picture either, but everything just retract in.

5. Dfost115

Dfost115 Astrea Snail

I can get a pic tonight. Is it a wall hammer or branching hammer?

6. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I don't know about Hammers, but my Frogspawn that I used to have and my Torch get to about half, maybe even smaller, of their normal size.

7. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

It's a branching hammer. It gets pretty small at night and never too big in the morning, but I'm comparing it to my torch which is also a bigger coral.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Mine seem to go through all sorts of looks at night. Starting out fully expanded during the day they tend to pull the tentacles in making them much smaller and exposing their open mouths. From that point the tentacles continue to deflate until morning where they are so tiny and shrivels you think it looks like its dying until it starts to expand after lights come on again

10. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

these pics aren't great, but you get the general idea. first set is my hammer frag, second set is a torch....it wouldn't let me upload one so i had to change the order of them.. it goes open hammer open torch (bottom), closed torch closed hammer. basically, it is shriveled up, but you don't see the ridges on the skeleton when healthy. If you can see ridges, the coral isn't happy (last pic). on the left head you can just see the skeleton poking out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012