What does a phosphate reactor do?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by flounder, Feb 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

ok ty again mien is doing that so i guess i did something right ;D

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

yes and no, as long as the media isnt floating to the surface and going out of the reactor it is fine, if its barely moving the top then the bottom will turn to rock

4. MTPVTEYE

MTPVTEYE Plankton

I have a 40 breeder reef tank (new) and have been looking at those reactors. why would i need one? i cant find any good info. BUT! i do want have a very happy succesful tank. will be having both types of corals. have metal hailde and will only have have minimal small fish. i only and ever use ro water. i have a bakpak protien skimmer too.

5. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I didn't start out with one, but just put one on today.

About 4 weeks ago I started to get a pretty bad cyano outbreak. Water changes did nothing, just took out what was there and in 2-3 days it was back.

After a bit of that I got some phosphate filter stuff... "Poly Filter" the white pad that changes color.

I used it in my sump till it clogged up and reduced flow to the point my fuge was over flowing into the sump instead of going under the baffles. About 5 days of that and I had almost 2 weeks without any major cyano growth. Then like 2-3 days ago it came back with a vengeance.

So that suggested to me that phosphates were the culprit. LFS said our water supply is very high in phosphates and I know even the best RO/DI can't remove 100% of anything. So I got the 2LF phosban reactor and a small maxi-jet and have it set up now. I'll suck out the worst areas and see if it clears up. For $50 I figure it's worth a shot, and if nothing else i can use the reactor for carbon later on.

-Doug

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I added 1 after a GHA outbreak and after about a month it is all but gone.