What do you wish your LFS had told you?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by greybeard, Nov 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I want to visit the 'ol west fish store! I second the frag tank. Even a small one will be worth it. Don't forget the viewing box!

2. Click Here!

3. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

What I wish the LFS had told me...

The truth about what is or isn't reef safe. I quit the hobby because I got tired of losing pets and tearing my tank apart to catch what turned out to be a known shoreline or salt marsh predator that was sold as "reef safe". Takes a lot of research on each one to find the truth, as most are also sold online as reef safe. You simply cannot rely on anyone who is trying to make a profit.

Good luck with your new endeavor, Greybeard. Wish I was closer so I could visit. ;)

4. moto826

moto826 Astrea Snail

thank you im looking forward to seeing it ;D and i love 1800s stuff was there cool stuff in it when you got it or was it empty ?

5. DARKHAVEN

DARKHAVEN Astrea Snail

When i was starting it would have been nice for the lfs tell lighting, flow and placement when i bought corals. how far are you from newberry, paradise area might stop by next time i travel up to see the fam?

6. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Yep that would be good info to have for sure!

I'm about 4 hours west of Newberry, in the Keweenaw Peninsula, or as we say 'da copper country eh?' LOL

Just google map "north country pets laurium" and it'll show you where I am!

Thanks for the input and hope you get by my way!

GreyBeard

7. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

When I walk into a store the first thing I look at is the health and quality of the fish and coral. I will drop big bucks, for the item I want, but if I see floaters, dirty tanks or disease, I will not buy there. It shows you dont care. My lfs quarintines his animals in back, it costs him more thus it costs me more, but is well worth it.

8. Click Here!

9. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Good things to keep in mind... and one reason I dont' sell fish until I've had them long enough to know they are healthy. I don't have an area in the back for QT (I wish I had that much room! LOL) so mine is out on the 'floor' where everyone can see but I think letting people know these just came in and I won't let them go for a time helps people understand how serious I am about making sure the animal they get from me is healthy. Hope I'm right! lol

Thanks for the input!

10. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

nothing. I don't trust them. I'd rather get my info here or other sites. ;)

makes it easier to shop if they don't try to tell me their crackpot theories, making me just stand there and smile and nod...

11. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Ouch. Those untrustworthy people in lfs are why I want to make sure I have good solid info and guidence for my customers including steering them toward places like 3reef so that they don't just get thier information from one source. Since I started this thread I've sent two people to this site telling them basically to do thier homework because I couldn't possibly think of everything they should know even if I did know it all. LOL and Lord knows I don't know the first tenth.

Thanks for the input Gabbagabbawill!

GreyBeard

12. shecter

shecter Fire Shrimp

i just wish the first one i went to was honest. i didn't do my research before hand which was my own fault, but i was told to buy fresh water lights filters and such when i didn't need it. i was also told i didn't need power heads because that was old technology and live rock was useless. there's a lot to be said about an honest salesman and that store has lost well over 1000$ of my business alone never mind the people i tell not to go there because of their shady practices. its sad that i drive an hour away to go fish shopping when that store is 10 minutes away