What do you think

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Puffer Chick, I would use the exacto, or any type of knife with extreme caution, I would do the kalkwasser paste before anything sharp. The butter knife shouldn't be very sharp and the way your skin reacted to your polyps would make me uneasy to get an open cut inside your water column. Who knows how susceptible your body is to the stuff in your tank, you can get some nasty infections amongst other things from all of the living organisms /bacteria that live in there.

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I wouldn't suggest that, unless you are very precise because the IME when I tried to brake a rock for scaping the rock just broke into dust. I would suggest the paste thing suggested above.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

not really sure on your tone there neighbor...

anyway, if you want to peel it, totally go for it. safe as can be. IME, it'll grow back. And back. And back. And gets really tiresome.

kalk paste isn't really the same as adding Kalkwasser to your tank.The paste is thick and when you place it, forms a little shell - just don't have it in direct flow. I have tons of little kalk mounds from getting rid of xenia and gsp. It's not really dangerous IME. But you do have to be careful not to go pouring the stuff in your tank.

kalkwasser is liquid form and immediately disperses through the whole tank.

Kalk, PC, is nothing more than pickling lime you buy at the grocery store. mix a little in a gallon of water and you have kalkwasser. mix a little bitty bit of water to a scoop of pickling lime and mix it into a paste.

you can usually find it in the grocery store in the areas where they carry empty jars. I always have to ask someone bc it's always hidden ;)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i worry about using the xacto knife especially since it is so sharp. And yea my skin is really sensitive in general, and especially to the tank, and surprisingly now coral with what happend last time i touched them.

I have to go to the lfs sometime this weekend to get my water. I could go to the lfs tomorrow if i have time, it's my day off tomorrow, but the lfs doesnt open until tomorrow, and i was hoping to get my tank maintanance done in the morning, but i could wait until the afternoon. Would petco or petsmart sell this stuff?

6. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

:) I meant no harm Peredhil :cheesy: I am surprised you took it negatively :(

1 person likes this.
  7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

didn't think about that

never heard of pickling lime. I think i'll try this though if i can find some

8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Mrs. Wages -
    [​IMG]

Much cheaper than at a fish store and it is the same thing, i get them from Woodman's for like 2 dollars per container. I believe it is just pure calcium hydroxide. Be careful, they make weird festive ones with spices and stuff in there, you just want the regular one's without spices.

1 person likes this.
  10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, i'm hoping Ralphs will have this, any idea where it might be located?

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Ask an employee where the canning isle is, not canned goods, but the isle for actually canning foods and stuff, should be able to find it. The first time I tried to find it I went nuts, never even thought about looking in the canning isle.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, thanks, i hope i find it, i think i'll go sometime tomorrow.