What do you think of the Fluval Chi aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Seano Hermano, May 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Something to think about is the overall budget for this whole project. If $150 is too much for just the tank think about the costs of salt, test kits, LIVESTOCK. The initial plunge yes is a good piece of money but is the re-occuring cost going to be something he can add up. It's those initial startup is one thing but its the on going costs that chase alot of people out of the hobby.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

We haven't actually talked about the subject all THAT much. I brought it up during school as we were just having a conversation. He said he always wanted a SW tank, but never really looked into it. He liked the idea of a pico because of the "high" cost of lighting for a 20-29g(which is the size he originally wanted). It was about $330 for a 4X24W T5HO 30" light.

He will be coming over this weekend so we can talk more and he can take a look at my tank. He wants to see what he needs and how much everything will cost. I gave him an initial rough estimate for set-up of about $300-500(14G biocube or 29G from scratch). That was if he got everything new. I told him to watch CL for used tanks and set-ups so it wouldn't cost as much.

4. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

He could hang two PAR30 LED lamps over a 20-29 gal for less than $150, and those are good enough to grow SPS under.

5. Seano Hermano

Yes, we had also talked about LEDs a bit. I will be sure to mention this to him when he is here this weekend.

Personally I think his best bet would be a 14g Oceanic BioCube for $230 plus a Par30 Boost LED. I like the Reef version of the EcoPico as well, if he wants a smaller tank.

I think it's time he gets a job! lol. He is trying to pay for himself, so that is why he is having sticker shock. But I am at the point where I am paying for my own tank as well. Dad doesn't have the money to help; I told him I wanted to pay now.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

7. Seano Hermano

Those re pretty cool little tanks. I did notice the Ecos seem to lack on filtration, but they are nice tanks aside fro that.

I like the CadLights built-in sump. They have that with some of their bigger tanks(40B for example) and it is a nice addition to the picos.

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

why not the new ecopico with reef capable led's? its like 150 bucks and everything else is not gonna cost that much.

10. Seano Hermano

These AIO tanks are all very similar. When you have a pico there really isn't much that is different (form brand to brand) aside from maybe the lighting. I talked to my friend today and he has decided he will save up for the Oceanic BioCube - 14g. It is $170 from Marine and Reef. Only a few dollars more than the pico tanks but 3x the volume. I think this will make a good starter tank.

He seems to like a mixed reef tank (very interested in all the corals I showed him on Live Aquaria). So I suggested he maybe switch out the CP for LED stunner strips when he has the money.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

looks good, its a good thing hell have you to keep him informed so he doesnt screw up haha.

12. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

100$ can get you a 10G, cfl lighting(Coralife 50/50 Mini) sand, rock, heater, salt(maybe u have some to spare??) and thermometer. if you can help with the tests for a bit and he starts with a clown or damsel its not impossible to do on a budget.