What do you think of SCWD's

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by fletch, Dec 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I am thinking of adding a SCWD to my system and I just wanted some feed back from everyone on what they think of them. :-/
    And How badly if any do you think that they reduce your water flow? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Love the concept. Poor execution. I bought one. It jammed up. got it going again, it jammed up. Nothing in it that I could find. So we bought a second one(theya are pretty cheap) so when it jams, we can just swap it out and soak the other without being down for long.

I am running it off a Mag 5, it goes through the squid, to 2 pieces that each have 2 90 degree elbows to get it back into the tank so I imagine the flow decreases quite a bit. I will be switching it over to a Mag 9.5 soon. I have heard they function better with the larger flow pumps.

I do like the effect and my new one has not jammed yet so, we shall see ;D

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yah I have a mag 7 but I am also thinking of going to a 9.5 if I get a SCWD................... John

5. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Have a bypass line with a second SCWD for easy repairs. I have sent one back to the manufacture. The new one worked a lot better but i have notice it is taking longer to switch sides. Went from every 10 seconds to every 2-3 minutes. And when it fails i have to totally shut my system down since i did not put a bypass line. I ordered a second to keep handy for quicker switch over.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Will wait until they get to the 3rd or 4th generation of SCWD. Great concept but my conventional PHs, mechanical filtration, and return from th refugium are doing the trick for me at the moment.

7. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I love the way it clean up the back of my tank by removing all the PH's. Regret, i us to do zero work on my PH's now i have to rip the system apart every few months.

3I never responded on what went wrong with my first one, they just sent me a new one. Actually sent it before i even sent my old one back.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Sounds like greaqt customer service!

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I agre with very good concept....thats it. After we sold em for bout 3 months and had more than half returned we stopped. They do create water motion, but kill water flow. Also over priced, our seller acidently faxed us THIER price list and availibility..... :-[ ! I only like the units that work under thier own power, no loss of water flow, I know that makes for a more complicated device. there arent very many choices right now but i see many in the works.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well I got 2 oks and 1 junk Does anybody think that they are good? :-/

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I put Good. I think once they release there new one it will be much better I think it's going to be 1" fittings allowing for less flow restriction. I use one on my 40G tank with a closed loop and run a MAG 4 not bad through put but I know the pump is labouring and the SCWD will shorten the life of the pump.

J