what do you think LR actually go for on fiji?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by sostoudt, Apr 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What does a fiji local get paid for a LB of live rock

1. less then $0.25

22 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. $0.25-$0.50

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. $0.50-$1

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. $1-$1.50

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. around $2

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. around $2.50

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

fill out the poll before reading ahead please;D

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    //
    /
    //
    i have no idea the overhead of creating the rock(for maricultured) and transportation.
    but to give you a idea of prices real fiji live rock collected by locals goes fo $0.55(US) a KG so thats a quater a pound.
    Sustainable Live Coral Trade, Fiji Islands Business, 02/01/06 | Coral Reef Alliance

all this is assuming F$ in the article means fiji currency, i think it does.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Well yo put thinks into perstective here in Illinois my LFS charges $6.99/lb for rock they screen. Meaning they will farm it and take any freebies that my have survived such as mushrooms etc... I had know doubt that this rock was being overpriced! I personally caught on after buying my first 15lb from the LFS and then I started t get additional rock from classifieds/craigslist etc... I am also an ebay junkie when it come to supplies, you can get them so much cheaper. The only downfall is that your LFS doesn't get that money.

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Rock is a very interesting thing...
    Many islands and countries now are outlawing its collection entirely... Tonga, Marshall Islands, certain parts of Fiji, and others are on deck to outlaw as well.
    Contrary to popular belief most is collected by islanders in shallow areas, usually after storms or other disasters.
    I personally know 4 people that have stayed in Fiji for some time, one of my buddies lived there for 6 months as his uncle was the Rugby coach and apparently does well for himself there. A member of our club and ex wholesaler travels there just about every year and his brother knows Walt Smith fairly well and they both can attest that the rock(most of it) is found in areas where the person can stand in maybe knee level water and grab pieces.
    One morning the ex wholesaler was walking down the beach with his wife and they saw a few islanders on the beach sorting rocks... he told them that the rock goes for $6+ a lb in the States, they were shocked and told him they get pennies for a #... they also wondered why we would pay so much for rock!

Shipping has a lot to do with price, as does sheer greed of the rock collectors. LFS are not out of the dark on this either, granted some stores sell it much cheaper(or expensive) than others.
    Problem with aquacultured rock is that it is JUST as destructive to the reef as collection is...
    Cement is needed to make the fake rock.... Where do islanders get the materials to make fake rock? Does the Fiji islands stock Quikcrete? NO!! They need to grind up the limestone a.k.a live rock to get the Calcium Oxide needed to make the cement which is in turn needed to make the fake rock.... Sounds bogus to me. The only way aqua cultured rock would be effective and very minamally invasive is if the US could send cheaply make fake rocks or Quikcrete to Fiji and then have them send back the rocks in about a year, problem with that is after all the transport the rock would be just as expensive if not more than live rock.

I say we all do our part by using less live rock and more DRY rock such as base rock and we will all have an effect on not only the health of the reef but the health of the greedy peoples pocketbooks that take advantage of the 3rd worlds resources!

End rant....

Happy reefing! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, I have been to Fiji fairly recently, and I can tell you they don't get squat for it. The cost is the shipping, just as with sending a bulky heavy box from a US to US location. Having a need for the LR to be delivered fairly quick does not help the $$ situation either.

Joe, does that make me #5 ( and 6)?

1 person likes this.
  6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

According to WWF, rock is bought for F$1.20 a kilogramme which is shared according to Fijian custom.

At an average of 150 kilogrammes a week, about 7500 kilogrammes harvested annually by a full-time harvest will earn about F$9000 a year. That’s a lot of money for the average Fijian villager.

7. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Rock prices

Well if it helps I paid 2.49 per lb for my dry rock, i only paid for one rock@6 lbs. LFS

8. Click Here!

9. slocal

slocal Doot!

Non-screened and fully cured Fiji is $2.99/lb and Tongan is $3.50/lb here. Yes I'm spoiled :D

Oh yah, BR is $1.00/lb

10. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

fuji rock is like 5.99 a pound around here. sometimes 6.99.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dr.Fragenstein

You were in the 4!;D How goes it Tom?

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Those places must have old rock as according to all my sources and wholesalers Tonga has banned collection a couple years ago....;D