What do you guys think of the Kessil spotlight led's

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by bbrian189, Sep 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

I am interested in setting up a 75g tank (standard size). I want to break into led's.

Are these good led's?

The kessils are nice and compact and seem pretty powerful. Do you guys think 2 of them would be good on a 75g?

I am looking at the A150watt. Here is the link: Kessil Lighting- The Spectral Revolution

Also, they are not dimmable and come in 10k 15k and actinic. I have heard that they are bluer than normal for their kelvin ratings. Does anyone have experience with these?

I would like to get a 14k halide look. Do you think 2 15k kessils would be close enough or would you guys recommend the 10k and a 15k as a combo? Then I would be worried about how to arrange them. Or do you think that I should get 2 10K's and then supplement with 1 or 2 blue stunner strips or something?

Sorry... a lot of questions. I don't know too much about LED's.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I saw one at BAYMAC, they are very bright,one was used on a 28g nano cube at the bottom it was bright!

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

They look neat, but they are new and I have not seen any PAR, or coverage data available yet. And kelvin rating is a marketing term, so, I have no idea what a 14000K metal halide spectrum is, it depends which one you are comparing to. So, really it's anyone's guess.

5. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

Hmm.. something similar to what I have now would be good.

I have in order from front to back: blue plus. Purple plus. aquablue special. blue plus.

A color similar to this would work for me: Nando's Reef 19-07-09 - YouTube

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

For some reason I thought this was gonna be about the kessil run

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Well, one thing I can say is the spectral plot of the kessil doesn't show any red really, except a very little in the the 10000K version. So, I think it's safe to say you won't get the reds of the purple plus (except for fluorescent red). The 20000K will probably be similar to your current setup, if you removed the purple plus. The 15000K, will shift a little more towards white and the 10000K, even more white (Or if your water is yellowish, maybe will have a bit of a yellow tint).

To me, the video looks fairly 10000Kish, however, about 16sec in, it looks more 15000Kish for a little while. That may be a camera setting or something, I'm not sure. The 10000K may get you close, but you may risk a yellowish look if your water isn't perfect. The 15000K would probably be safer, but may be a bit bluer, but the reds may not show as well.

8. Click Here!

9. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

Lets say I went with 2 of the 15k kessils. How high would you guys recommend putting the bulbs above the tank? Do you think that it would be good to mount them inside of the canopy of the 75g?

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I think the manufacture recommends around 12" or so? You'd have to check, I believe it is listed in the documentation. The only thing with the canopy is it may get too hot for leds. I think the kessils shut off when it gets too hot to protect them, but still annoying if they keep turning off. I guess you could put a fan in the canopy or something though.

11. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have them, and LOVE them, i have them 6" off my water, 2 should be ok but 3 would probably be better depending on what your planning on keeping coral wise, the 15k is very blue looks almost 20k my sps are loving life right now i know that much highly recommended

12. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

And you are correct, ive had them for a month now, but have yet to have one shut off, heat exchange is minimal, and they do have fans built in the unit but a small pc fan would just make sure they wont shut down