Resolved What do you do?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mdbostwick, Dec 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

What do you do when your return pump stops working and you have no money to replace it? It just cut out this morning. I got it to run at what seemed half speed for a few minutes and then it just stopped all together.

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

take the equipment out of the sump and put it in the DT. A heated tank is better than one that looks good. You could go a day or two without a skimmer, just increase frequency of water change.

mdbostwick and mikejrice like this.
  4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

If you have a maxijet lying around or some other cheapie old style powerhead they work as a temporary return. You don't need a lot of flow, just some turnover to keep the sump active.

mdbostwick, mikejrice and DSC reef like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Servillius nailed it. You can get a maxi jet 1200 for about 35 dollars and that will get you by

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I saw a similar post somewhere and someone recommended that you take the pump apart and clean it well - that may "fix" it if you haven't done that already. I know sometimes the impeller can get clogged up. Just a thought :)

mdbostwick likes this.
  7. mdbostwick

It almost seems like it overheats within a few minutes. If it sits for a bit it will work for about 3 minutes then it stops.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Soak the pump, impeller and shaft in straight distilled white vinegar for an hour or two. Rinse it off and use a brush on any stubborn calcium or algae and it should be good as new.

mdbostwick and CBSurfrider like this.
  10. mdbostwick

the impeller and shaft move freely. It runs perfect for the first 3 minutes and then the motor stops. It is fully immersed in increasingly cold water in my sump. I think it only has an 18 month warranty for good reason.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Did you check the magnet for hairline cracks? This happens a lot and they lose their magnetic strength and ability to rotate when they do. I also found some impellers magnets come un glued so they rotate on their own without the impeller turning, lots of my MJ powerheads did this and some old Rio's too.

mdbostwick likes this.
  12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Look for a used one, i.e Craigslist.

mdbostwick likes this.