What do you all think about this light?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by jkolz, Dec 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkolz

jkolz Plankton

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Personally I would never buy an off brand light fixture. Like anything in this hobby you get what you pay for and lights are no exception. Go with a trusted brand name on lights. Check out petmountain.com, they have really good deals on lights.

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I would pass on it. The price looks good, but it only has a single reflector and crappy bulbs (and all 10K's??), no-name ballasts, no moon lights, etc. After you got this you wound want too pick up at least 4 quality actinics which would run you another $80 + shipping. If you have a canopy, I would look for a 6 lamp 60" retro setup with SLR's and quality bulbs.

~Will.

5. jkolz

jkolz Plankton

Awesome, thanks for the advise. I checked out that store and I did find another unith that I'm considering. What do you think about the Nova Extreme Pro? The problem I'm having is that I want to have a 60" bulb at least and I'm not finding many of these fixtures don't go that big. So I've thought about making my own and using Ice Cap retro kits. My question w/ those is how hard is it to get the spacing and wiring right and how many lights can I have per ballast?

Oh, here is a link for the nova extreme pro:
    Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO Aquarium Light Fixtures

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Getting a retro into a canopy is a lot easier than it sounds. To mount, you just put a bulb between 2 end caps (to get the right spacing) and carefully screw the mounting plates into the top of your canopy . . . then remove the bulb and repeat the process till your done. Wiring is really easy too as long as you get a diagram with your kit it should be all color coded.

How many lights per ballast really depends on the ballast. You cant have more lamps wattage-wise than the ballast is rated for and you need to keep the total lamp-length under what the ballast can handle.

~Will.

7. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

i agree retro and canopy is the way to go.
    check out hamilton lighting, that is what i use

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

10. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I had a lot of trouble with a 48" nove extreme fixture. I had three different ones have issues over the course of 6 months...two bulbs would keep blowing out. Dr.'s foster and smith were really good about replacing the fixture no questions asked...however, after 3 strikes I gave up on nova. I ended up replacing it with a TEK T5 setup from Aquarium Supplies - Aquarium Supplies for your Tropical Fish, Saltwater Fish, Reef Aquarium, Marine Fish, Saltwater Aquarium. It was more expensive, but the quality is a night and day difference. Plus better bulbs, better relectors, and it runs cooler overall.