What do yall think about this light?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Slacking02, Jul 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Slacking02

Slacking02 Astrea Snail

Im new to saltwater tanks, i have 55 gal that just finished its cycle im starting of with a FOWLR set up. I was given the tank and it came with a single bulb fixture with a 35 watt 50/50 and im looking to upgrade...

i found this while on my hunt --> Fish Tank Aquarium Light 48" 216W T5 HO Actinic Lighting - TheLaShop

216W Power Output in total, the latest 48" Aquarium Light offers both outstanding performance and modern design for your aquarium. It supports 2 x 54W T5 HO Fluorescent Lamps, 2 x 54W Actinic Blue Lamps and 4 x Bluemoon LEDs, which provides the full spectrum of what your aquarium will need to thrive and satisfies different light requirements of even the most demanding reef aquariums.

What do yall guys think? any good? would i be able to grow corals?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I don't know much about the company that makes the light, but to answer your question. Yes you will be able to grow corals with out problems. I have a 4 buld odyessy light on my 40B and have both hard and soft corals without problems.

4. Slacking02

Slacking02 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help! Ill be looking to get this unit soon!

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  6. Slacking02

Slacking02 Astrea Snail

Oh wow! Great thread! Lots of good info, realy get to see the diffrences you can achive with diffrent bulbs.
    Realy transforms the tanks!
    Thanks for the info!

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I always try to point out good threads that I find when the situation is appropriate. I'm on here all the time, so I'm more then happy to share what I find.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

The only problem I see with this light is that there is only one power chord for the entire fixture and separate switches to manually turn on the daylights, actinics and LED's. I dont really see a way to have a light timer for independent daylights and actinics to have a dusk and dawn.

10. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Yeah that is one thing I noticed as well, another is that there doesn't apear to be any reflectors other than the back of the light which wouldn't matter in a fowl but will effect the types of corals you are effectively able to grow, IMO if you want to keep a mainly fowl with a few softies I think this light should be fine with you if you feel like you really wanna start trying some corals I would recommend going with this, its a great unit its what I was going to buy before I won my led's ;D http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...igh-Output_Fixture_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I noticed the lack of a formed reflector/individual reflectors on the unit and the lack of multiple chords.

Good link also look at the ATI fixtures.

12. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

One way to handle lighting imo is to first think about the amount of money you are willing to spend, once you figure out your price range you can do your research from there and whether that takes you into a fully programable LED setup or a barebones t5 unit make sure you do your research :)