What do I need

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Ebeg1234, Aug 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ebeg1234

Ebeg1234 Plankton

Heyo,

I have been looking into creating a 40 gallon breeder frag tank, and I am very interested. The only problem is I have no experience with this, and there are no resources that I have found that will tell me the setup for the tank. If anyone wants to help me out that would be great. If you could just make a list of the stuff I would need (specific brand/size please) that would be great... just remember I'm not rich.

Thanks,
    Ebeg1234;D

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Do you have any kind of salt water setup?

If you do all photosynthetic corals, you really don't need much of anything. Just Circulation, heater, and light. No reason for the tank to ever get dirty if its just corals and you don't put any food in the tank. Maybe a HOB filter with just a sponge in it.

If you want to put fish in as well, or NPS corals, then you will want live rock, and a protein skimmer.

4. Ebeg1234

Ebeg1234 Plankton

I have no saltwater setup or experience, but thanks for the info. I want to frag because I want to be able to cover costs and get a big tank. I have been studying fragging for a month now and I am almost ready to start. Thanks for the input. Two questions though- I don't need a sump?, What lighting will work on a 48x24x8 coral tank/ or a 40 breeder

5. Toallhisdoom

6. Ebeg1234

Ebeg1234 Plankton

If a coral isn't nps is it photosynthetic, if it is lps or sps is it potosynthetic?

7. Ebeg1234

Ebeg1234 Plankton

Does photosynthetic mean you don't have to feed them so they need sunlight

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

sps=small polyp stony
    lps=large polyp stony
    nps=non photosyntetic-means it does not get food from the light and you have to feed it.

10. Ebeg1234

Ebeg1234 Plankton

Are softies or mushrooms or xenia lps or sps or no nps? What do I need for them?

11. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Keep doing some research, I recommend some books in your other thread.

It sounds like you're pumped to race an F1 car, yet don't have a license yet...

If you don't PLAN out a design for a tank or frag tank out carefully beforehand (and you don't have a ton of experience to fall back on), layout, equipment needed, equipment size and so forth, you are guaranteed to run into issues...

You need patience in this hobby... or at least, this hobby will teach one patience.

Not trying to be a jerk but, it sounds like you're jumping the gun.

12. Toallhisdoom

softies are softies. (mushrooms,leathers, that sort of thing) as far as care goes softies are some of the easiest to take care of.