What do I need for Clams?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by bl**dydrivers, Jun 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bl**dydrivers

bl**dydrivers Astrea Snail

Ok, everybody gets to this point within the hobby.

I have the erg to get a Clam, but don't know what I need. I have had a reef tank (55 gal to be precise), is there a perticular clam that is hardy? I have 4.72 watts per gal, all water parameters are spot on

Is there anything that might not be compatible?
    I have a flame angel, would that be ok?

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I think you have sufficient lighting. How long has your tank been running? Clams require a well established tank to survive. You will need to place the clam in the mid area/close to the top of the tank.
    Clams require pristine water quality and medium-high flow rate.
    What are your water parms like?
    Temp?
    S.G?
    The flame and the clam should be compatible.

4. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

there is a very good chance your flame may start picking at the clam mantles.. i introduced my clam before my blue angel and therefore it is fine right now.. but i have tried introducing clams after the angel was introduced, and they have been picked up.. it's a 50/50 gamble on your behalf..
    4.7 watts? of what light? t5 HO? metal halides? I would at least have T5 HO, and even if you have T5 High Output, i would recommend placing the clam very much near the top of the tank.. keep your calcium levels up as your clam will drain your calcium from your water..
    i would not really recommend the clam in your tank though.. happy reefing

5. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

T-5HO is good for a clam but it doesnmt need to be way up top...unless you only have a couple bulbs I have a 6 bulb t5 and wouldnt be afraid to set a clam on bottom....

6. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

yeah depends on how many bulbs you have, and also how deep your tank is, and how high your sandbed is, i wouldn't place a clam at the bottom of a 21" 55G tank unless you have 6+ bulbs of it

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

depends on what type of clam you get! Dersea clams require lower light and will do ok in your bottom of your sand. Crocea and maxima require the most lighting and will do better towards the top of your tank! Those are rock bearing clams anyway so need to be on rocks.

I would start with a dersea as they are one of hte easier to keep

8. Click Here!

9. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

If you do pick up a juvenile clam, seriously consider feeding phyto to the tank, the smaller clams tend to rely more on filter feeding until they get a bit larger. Other then lighting you need to make sure your calcium and magnesium are both in the proper range and are maintained.

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

ive got a crocea on the bottom of my tank. 24" deep tank , 6x54 t5's . and hes is doing well , mantle fully displayed and sittin on a piece of flat lr. nice flow where his mantle wafts in the current. ive got a flame angel and coral beauty and neither of mine have nipped it. i might just be lucky and have very well ehaved dwarfs. just relating my experience, works for me , might not for others tho

11. bl**dydrivers

bl**dydrivers Astrea Snail

the tank has been running for about 10 months now, but some of the rocks, all bioballs and corals was in my 29 gal biocube and that was running for about 8 months.

at the moment the flow rate is lower than usual, as i have a uv sterilizer running to see if it stops the bubble algae from booming.

temp, between 78 and 80
    s.g 1.023

any type of clam i should get?

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What type of lighting?