What do I do?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Midnight_Madman, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

A week ago I lost a percula clown. I never figured out why but he developed rapid breathing, swimming in the direct current of the power head. Then started getting white specks on the top half of his body but to me it didn't look like ich. The next day he was dead.
    Today my other much smaller percula is gone, (Im pretty confident he's dead)
    He had the same symptoms except he wasn't swimming in the current, he was hiding under a cave. He also has a white string that would come out of his anus. It would go away and then another would come out. He had the same white spots up on his top fin area.

I have a beautiful Yellow Tang and a 6 line wrasse in there now that look great, but Im afraid that they may get whatever killed the other two. Or is it something that may have been associated with the clowns only? It took about 3 or 4 days for the second clown to develop what the first one had after he died.
    I don't know what to do. I really don't want to loose them too.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

could it have been flukes? did you see anything around the gills? There are types of illnesses that seem to effect clowns more then other fish....but even with that others can get it. Are you supplementing your food with vitamins and HUFA's. Are the other fish eating well? Water parems ok

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It also sounds like it could be velvet. It kills fast and can sometimes appear as spots on a fish.

5. Midnight_Madman

Water is fine and everyone in there was fine until the first clown got sick. He was a wild caught percula from my LFS. I had him and he looks prestine for 10 days until this.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

if he was swimming into the current and gasping I bet he had flukes

7. Midnight_Madman

The second small one wasnt staying in the current, just hiding under rocks.

So, should I try to treat the DT or what? Does this sound like its something that will go from fish to fish until the other two are wiped out?

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Get some Marine-Max by tropical Science ASAP. Sounds like velvet seeing how quickly they died.

10. Midnight_Madman

It took about 2 days from the time I noticed anything at all.

11. johnnythree

johnnythree Plankton

sorry has nothing to do with this but how do you make a thread im new to this?

12. Midnight_Madman

My LFS doesnt have Marine-Max by tropical Science is there something that is similar that is more common to buy?