what do i add to my water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by losthawk1, Nov 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. losthawk1

losthawk1 Astrea Snail

i have a 30gl with live rock mushroom coral and green polyps coral that don't look so green to me and 3 small fish i feed them but not sure what i should add to the water for the live rock and all the other creatures in it. any suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

As we are so fond of saying around here "Don't add anything unless you have a test kit for it" :) :) Seriously. I would check your basic parameters, PH, ammonia nitrite and nitrate. If these are all good. Then you are good. Your mushrooms and live rock will not consume very much calcium. When you do water changes your sea salt should replenish most of the nutrients that you need. As your tank matures and if you continue to add corals that require calcium and proper alkalinity then you might need to add calcium in one form or another. ie kalk drip or calcium reactor.
    If you could tell us more information about your tank such as lighting, fish, filtration and other creatures. Someone will chime in and give suggestions on why your green polyp coral doesn't look so green.

Jim

4. losthawk1

losthawk1 Astrea Snail

i have tube worms crabs little starfish , light is hi compact with 2 55watt bulbs plus a florescent. and filter is the outside the tank kind a whisper.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I agree with Diver. Get some test kits. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH to start.

The green of your Star polyps could be the colour temperature of your lights. It could just be how you see the polyps. What Kalvin rating are your lights?

6. minibowmatt

minibowmatt Plankton

your polyps may need brighter light. some polyps need bright lighting to stay brightly colored.. IME. Like Diver said, once you determine that your PH and cycle levels are stable and normal, I wouldnt add anything to a 30g tank. With regular water changes of good RO and quality slat mix, you should be able to replace all the necessary nutrients. The only difference is if you were going hard core SPS then you may want to drip Kalk and/or get a Ca reactor. JMO