what do emerald crabs eat?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

My emerald cleared up a few small patches of bubble algea, now who knows what the heck he's been eating off the rocks, but he's still alive. I had 3 peppermint shrimp (1 has been MIA for quite some time) and a skunk cleaner shrimp, which don't seem to have a problem with the emerald crab.

2. Click Here!

3. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

I HADE ONE ONCE HE DID GREAT on my rocks my coral banded reef shrimp killed it

4. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

DONT GET THEM i had three and they ate my sargasm that was growing and they bully other stuff..plus i hear they get pretty big and can snatch fish

5. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

DONT GET THEM i had three and they ate my sargasm that was growing and they bully other stuff..plus i hear they get pretty big and can snatch fish

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

sargassum is a plant and the crab is a herbavore, so you can't blame it.
    so just be aware it will eat what it can find(corals excluded)

as far as snatching fish they aren't anywhere near as bad as arrow crabs or even nimble spray crabs(sally crabs) in my expierence unless the fish is laying on the ground comatose it will get away

1 person likes this.
  7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Had trouble with emeralds in my tank, however i have no hair problems what-so-ever. Longest one i've kept is approx. 6 months.. don't know about life span though. But the first two lasted only a few weeks.

8. Click Here!

9. Xx_Reptile_xX

Xx_Reptile_xX Plankton

WOuld an emerald grab a mandarin?

10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Its a potential, but like stated the fish would need to be less than perfectly healthy for that to happen.

11. Hemiscrub

Hemiscrub Plankton

i really don't like the emerald craps that much. once the algea is gone they look for other things and i have had them kill and eat small fish. i think one of the best hair algae attackers are scarlet hermints or dwarf scarlet hermits( i have heard people call them both) they are a more expensive than blue leggs but they will not bother fish.( i had a blue leg grow up to be a nasty fish eater, took down a yellow tang and a long nose butterfly) get about one scarlet per 5-10 gallons depending on how bad the hair algae has gotten. good luck

12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

They will eat pretty much everything. I love my 2 emeralds. They never bother anyone and they help clean up areas of the tank that people can't get to.