What could be wrong with these zoas and palys?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by zesty, Sep 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

ok, so I've had these zoas/pals for a min of 6 months. Then I thought they were splitting/making babies :hehe: or whatnot. Then they just turned out looking like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the only thing that has happened in my tank is this, covered in this thread

Since that thread, I cleaned out as much of that GFO sludge in my sump, ran filter socks changing them every other day and my tank came back to not being yellow anymore.

Here are my params:
    Nitrate 0 ppm (salifert)
    Phosphate 0.3 ppm (salifert)
    Calcium 490 ppm (red sea)
    Alk 8.4 dKH (red sea)
    Mag 1140 ppm (red sea)

I have not ran the dual reactor since the brown out in my tank. The only thing I dose is Red Sea nopox (this is the first test with such low no3 & po4). I recently added chemi pure elite (yesterday) since last week my po4 was .25 ppm or greater and I was frustrated chasing those numbers.

So what would cause these to look so cruddy? They used to be awesome and thriving for quite some time. Now they've looked like this for a while now, they partially open up everyday, but they just don't look right. The other green palys (in the second picture) have been unchanged and I've had them longer than the ones in question.

Thanks for your help.
    Matt

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Did you dip them, and dip subsequent corals that you added? There is a long list of zoa pests out there.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Raise your magnesium. Calcium is absorbed better when your mag is higher. Seems like an imbalance. Your alk can come up too

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I dipped them with the seachem coral dip from the goodie bag. I pulled these out and dipped them when I was adding the new ones as well.

ok, I'm a newb to dosing. The only thing I have is reef foundation buffer supplement B from my red sea alk test kit. I've never used it though. I could raise the dKH with this. What would raise the mag?

thanks!

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I use the aquavitro line by seachem. Ions is for magnesium and 8.4 is what raises the alk and keeps your ph stable. Calcificacion raises the calcium. Balance adjusts your ph without affecting the alkalinity. Fuel is an amino acid growth supplement. I use all of them and that's all I dose. My corals and clams are growing great.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I'll have to look those up to find out how to use them. But thanks for the info! Dosing scares the crap outta me...

Thank you!

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Me too zesty!!

1 person likes this.
  10. barbianj

Go to Best Fish and get BRS magnesium. Also, try the Bayer insect killer dip. It's the most effective one I've found. Also also, check the zoas at night with a flashlight for pests.

1 person likes this.
  11. barbianj

If the other dips for pests don't work, try Furan 2. Sometimes I do it right after the Bayer dip.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Cool. I'll pick some up. Will the reef supplement b from my red sea kit work for bringing up the dkh?